The most important feature of PodWorks is its ability to read the iPod's proprietary, internal database format (the same data source used by iTunes in examining the iPod). This gives PodWorks a distinct advantage over other, similar applications, which typically have to pull ID3 data out of every file on a given iPod to obtain song information (a very time consuming process). By contrast, when a new iPod is detected by PodWorks, that iPod's song list is rendered nearly instantaneously from the database--no "scanning" of the iPod necessary! Additional features include:
- Drag-and-drop song copying to the Finder.
- iTunes-style type-ahead search of song data (title, artist, album).
- iTunes-style song sorting by multiple columns.
- Preferences for song renaming and copies into directory hierachies.
- Optimized, fully multithreaded copy routines for superior performance.
- Automatic detection of iPod mounts and unmounts.
- Support for multiple simultaneous iPods.
Please note that until PodWorks is registered, it has the following limitations:
- 30 day time limit
- 250 song copy limit
- Songs must be copied one at a time
- Made dragging behavior more consistent with Apple Human Interface Guidelines.
- Fixed progress bar bug introduced in 1.1 (progress would only get halfway on multi-song copies.
- Made "Deselect All Songs" menu item available only when at least one item is selected.
What's new in this version: