For small-scale or high-detail art, there are only a few ways to create, and those kludgy. Zooming in really far in a normal graphics editor works, but sucks: the extra UI provided by the app just ends up getting in the way. Using a photo retouching app to do the sort of pixel-level work required of a sprite artist is also suboptimal. There is no pixel-art-specific graphics app for Mac OS X. That's why we wrote Pixen. Pixen is a graphics editor for the creation of such art, and is attuned to that form employed extensively in two-dimensional games.
What's new in this version:
- Added support for selections, cut, copy, and paste.
- Added Rectangular Selection tool.
- Added tooltips for each tool that show the tool's name and its key switching shortcut.
- Fixed bugs in archiving, backgrounds, and the preview window.
- Added basic framework for Forms architecture.