CNET Editors' review
Sometimes we get to try the most unique, unusual, and specialized software. For example, take SoftWeird's Pic-Poster. This unusual free tool analyzes faces and image metadata to estimate an individual's age range, based on initial data you enter. You can post your images online to view or share, too. It works with a wide range of images, but it's meant to be used on digital snapshots of individuals (like newborns) bearing date stamps and other metadata. Its chief purpose seems to be to help busy parents quickly sort through gigabytes of family snapshots without the help of a team of professional archivists and perhaps the Smithsonian (if you want it done this century). Used properly, Pic-Poster actually works, after a fashion.
Pic-Poster's user interface is fairly simple but not especially intuitive, and the interface language seems to have lost something in the translation; many of the commands had confusing syntax (like "Wait sometime") and we saw frequent misspellings. We started by clicking a very long button labeled Load Post Age On All Pictures In a Folder, which actually translates as something like "browse to load images." We did, and our batch of image files appeared in a list view in the program's sidebar, with the first image previewed in the main window.
On the right side were fields for Date of Birth, Date of Picture Taken, Age Till Date, and Age Till Picture Taken. Apparently, Age Till Date means current age, and Age Till Picture Taken means the individual's age when the picture was taken. The program's instructions appeared in a small window labeled Pic-Age Poster Help, which seems to be the same tool by a different name. Basically, the idea is to gather all the images of an individual in a single folder, enter the date of birth, and then wait while Pic-Poster analyzes the images and stamps them with age data, a process that takes some time.
And how does it work? Well, well enough to make this fascinating freeware worth trying, as we discovered with our small sample. For most parents, giving Pic-Poster enough material to work with won't be a problem.
This simple software will read Picture Metadata and would calculate age of a person based on the date the picture was taken. Then it will write age on picture just like a time stamp. Good for those who want to keep a record of their pictures age-wise.
What's new in this version: Version 2.0 is a bug-fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Diagnose and fix PC problems, enhance security, and optimize PC...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Tune up and maintain your PC, with anti-spyware, privacy protec...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Recover images from media cards.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- An image optimizer for preparing web graphics.
- Right-click an image file you want to preview and you'll see a ...
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content