CNET Editors' review
Filmmaker Ken Burns revolutionized historical documentaries by using subtle motion with sound overlays to bring life to old still photographs. Developer Jens Gopfert's PhotoFilmStrip uses what he calls the "Ken Burns" effect. This free slideshow maker actually creates movies out of your still images in three steps: select images, set motion paths, and create a video that can be saved in several high-quality formats, including full HD. You can also add music or other audio tracks and add comments in image subtitle fields.
PhotoFilmStrip's clean interface opened with a How to Start page that let us create a new project or open an existing one. Since it was our first time using the program, we obviously started with a new project by clicking the appropriate icon. We also opened the compiled help file, which included html tags that made it difficult to read. We recommend opening the Chrome HTML document version directly from the program's folder, if necessary. However, the program's wizards walked us through each step. We could drag and drop images directly into the program, which then displayed our selections in a preview panel along the bottom edge, with the first photo open in the main window. The program displayed the image twice in side-by-side windows, each with draggable selection windows. By selecting a smaller, slightly different part of the image and displaying them in sequence, it creates the effect that the image is moving. By selecting various effects, transition duration, and other settings, you can produce quite realistic illusions of motion and save them in formats that can be edited into longer productions and played back by anyone. The program offers options like Random Motion and user-defined duration.
Obviously, PhotoFilmStrip requires some practice to get things right, but we learned a few things right off the bat, such as using a series of similar images when possible for longer, more realistic motion simulation. We didn't figure out how to use an audio file with our slideshow; perhaps it's a command line option, which the program supports. It's certainly an intriguing video production tool that's a lot of fun just to fool around with, too.
From Jens Gopfert:
PhotoFilmStrip creates movies out of your pictures in just 3 steps. First select your photos, customize the motion path and render the video. There are several output possibilities for VCD, SVCD, DVD up to FULL-HD. The effect of the slideshow is known as "Ken Burns". Comments of the pictures are generated into a subtitle file. Furthermore an audio file can be specified to setup the background music for the slide show. Features includes simple and easy to use graphical user interface, comfortable way to specify the motion path for each picture, picture comments are generate into subtitle file, and has automatic detection of picture rotation.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Create photographic mosaics from your collection of images.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Ddownload, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Make unique collages for memorable occasions with your own phot...
- Save images and detect movements using your Web cam.
- Capture your screen and upload image to ImageShack.
- Create screensavers with images, text, and multimedia.
- Create photo collages from your digital images.
- Recover lost photos from hard drives, USB drives, memory cards,...
- Create and print your disk covers and labels.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Really good stuff."
Version: PhotoFilmStrip 1.5
I'm not very good with tedious, way too many features video software. This one makes it simple enough for me to understand what I'm doing. And it does a fine job too.
Nothing so far.
I used this to put a music video together for a song I had made a personal recording of, and it came out great. Good enough to put it on Youtube.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content