CNET Editors' review
Parallels Access is designed to give you remote access of your Mac or PC through your iPad's screen and it works as well as or better than promised by the developers. From the ease of opening and controlling apps to the customized interfaces for dozens of different app types, Parallels is a smooth experience that will provide a much-needed interface option for anyone that works on the go.
The one thing about Parallels Access that can be frustrating is setup and installation time. It takes a few minutes to install, verify, and then set up on your desktop. We tested the app on a Macbook Pro and total installation time including both iOS and OS X apps, plus connection time and interface setup was about 10 minutes. That includes numerous tutorials, as well, however, which are very useful for understanding just how much you can get done in this app. After connecting, you will be shown a list of apps from the computer you connected to; you can then tap any of them to open them as you would any iOS app. To streamline the interface and make things easier to access and tap all applications open in fullscreen on your iPad, but everything streams, including music, video, and more. Best of all, it's extremely fast with no screen lag that we could notice.
Parallels Access is free to try, though it does note that you only have 14 days to use your trial subscription before a paid upgrade will be needed. For how well it performs, the speed of connection, and the complete lack of bugs or issues (as we've seen in other remote access tools), it's well worth the upgrade.
With Parallels Access you can increase your productivity by accessing your computers and desktop applications from anywhere. You are able to access your professional business applications and get all your entertainment such as streaming video from your Mac or PC onto your iPad. And do it as though all your Windows and Mac applications were designed for your iPad.
Only Parallels Access lets you apply all the familiar iPad gestures you love to the Windows and Mac applications you need. Tap to start any PC or Mac app, use the iPad magnifying glass for precise control and do it all with fewer misses. Select text, and copy & paste in your desktop apps just like they were made for the iPad. Even copy from your Mac or PC applications and paste to your iPad apps.
Tap, swipe to scroll, pinch -- use the same familiar iPad gestures, but this time use them with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and more), Apple iWork (Keynote, Pages, Numbers), Internet Explorer, Adobe Photoshop or any other Mac or PC application.
Don't let a slow connection slow you down. Parallels Access bridges the gaps introduced with low bandwidth connections, giving you a more continuous, uninterrupted experience so you can do more while on the go. And if you're on a fast network, Parallels Access will make it soar.
More Products to Consider
- Create your own icons on your Home Screen.
- Hunt for odd changes in the flux on your iPhone.
- Use your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch as an extended screen for ...
- Use the LED light on the back of your iPhone 4 as a flashlight ...
- Ebook of 1532 political treatise.
- Listen to the sounds of the season on your iPhone.
- Puts your wrist watch on your iPhone.
- Annoy your dogs with different sounds from iPhone.
- Creates the illusion of X-Raying your fingers, breaking one off...
- Get different photos of White House administration on your iPho...
- Get the interactive gun app with auto zoom on your iPhone.
- Classic novel.
- Show your American pride anywhere with the Stars and Stripes wa...
- Transform your voice with multiple voice effects on iPhone.
- Shows you a real time countdown to your wedding day on your iPh...
- Set your snooze for your alarm on iPhone.
- Know about all Shabbat days on your iPhone.
- Classic novel.
- Enhance your communication and Apple interface experience with ...
- Classic philisophical text.
- Design and share icons on your iPhone.
- Keep the personal relaxation companion on your iPhone.
- Get a dancing frog that dances against any background on your i...