CNET Editors' review
Paltalk Messenger streamlines communication by putting instant messages, video chats, voice calls, and SMS all into a single user interface. While it may not be the most user-friendly program out there, it's certainly one of the more powerful.
If you've used an IM client like Trillian or Pidgin, then Paltalk's interface should feel familiar, with its vertical towerlike orientation, list of contacts, and status bar. The difference is that Paltalk does a lot more than those programs do--which is good. So, in addition to the typical IM contact list, there's a Chat Room panel, as well as a Phone & SMS panel, which lets you make voice calls and send texts. The problem is that using all of Paltalk's features is not always intuitive. The program has tons of drop-down menus, icons, and tabs cluttering each window, and very few explanations of functions. Also, watch out for the promotional content that Paltalk often serves up. For instance, I got messages telling me to Like Paltalk on Facebook, join specific chat rooms, and upgrade to a paid version. And then there's the Paltalk Today and Paltalk Notifier windows that sometimes make appearances. It can get a bit annoying, to say the least.
The Basic (free) version of Paltalk is ad-supported (banners) and comes with five texts and 100 voice call minutes (within the US and other select countries), all for free. For more texts or voice minutes, you'll have to pay on a per-use basis. In addition, you can upgrade your account to a Plus, Extreme, or VIP tier to get more features.
Paltalk's wide selection of chat rooms and active user community is among its best attributes. You can jump into G (general), R (rated-R), or A (adult) chat rooms, or create one of your own. Unfortunately, if you're on the free version of Paltalk, video in chat rooms is pretty much useless, since you only get a quick 10-second taste of Webcam functionality before it shuts off and asks you to upgrade. But what's great is you can video chat within a private message window, even with multiple participants. Also, there's a feature called SuperIM, which lets non-Paltalk users chat with you.
While Paltalk is certainly a versatile communications tool with tons of features, I think it's biggest strength is its chat. If you're interested in exploring chat rooms--public or private--or exchanging video instant messages with friends, I highly recommend you check this program out.
From A.V.M. Software:
The new Paltalk Messenger with international calling includes 100 minutes of free talk time to the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, China, Brazil, India and Hong Kong for each new member. Paltalk is the world's largest video chat community, with over 4 million members. The free Paltalk download includes:
Access to thousands of live video chat rooms. Room categories include music, politics, sports, religion and many more. Unlimited group video calls with up to 10 friends. Virtual Gifts--fun animations that can be sent to other members in a chat room 100 free minutes of talk time to the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, China, Brazil, India and Hong Kong AND 5 free international text messages for each new member. Interoperability with AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, GTalk and ICQ--IM with all your friends from Paltalk.
What's new in this version: Version 10.2:
More Products to Consider
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Record and play calls from various instant messengers and Skype...
- Import Mac OS Entourage E-mails to Microsoft Outlook.
- Access your Facebook account quickly and easily.
- Convert your non-Outlook e-mails and import them into Microsoft...
- Input the Instagram user name and download all his photos with ...
- Unlock your mobile cell phones.
- Find out who is no longer your friend on Facebook.
- Transfer mail archives from Mac OS to Outlook for Windows.
- Receive Facebook notifications, messages, friend requests direc...
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Access Twitter and Facebook from your desktop.
- Chat over the Internet with up to 120 users via your Web camera...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 887 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Paltalk Messenger 10.2
Easy to find friends because of the slew of chat rooms
Easy to use
great fun to waste a few hours browsing random chat rooms.
small ads in the free version, but hey suppose they gotta pay the bills! Small upgrade fee to remove them or do as I have and just ignore them lol
As a long time MSN chat user i had a look around to see what other video chat software was around and decided to check out Paltalk , I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and its great fun! Ive met lots of people from around the globe and made a few friends.
"Warning, not what it first seems."
Version: Paltalk Messenger 10.2
Lots of chat rooms.
Sleazy chat rooms, terribly useless support, admins that will boot you out of a room for no reason, everything you do and say gets watched and zero security. No good for children so keep your kids away from it, it is full of porn and bogus people, both female and male.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content