Shareware application that opens Mac OS X .pkg package files, .dmg disk image files, and .tar, .tgz, and .tar.gz archive files and allows you to extract individual files and folders out of them. This is useful, for instance, if an application which is installed by the operating system becomes damaged and needs to be reinstalled without the hassle of reinstalling all of Mac OS X (for example, if you had accidentally deleted Sherlock and wanted to reinstall it, but not the whole operating system). Pacifist is also able to verify existing installations and find missing or altered files*, and also has the ability to examine the kernel extensions installed in /System/Library/Extensions to determine which ones were installed by Apple and which may have been installed by third-party installers.
Pacifist 2.0 is a free upgrade for registered users of Pacifist 1.x.
*This product includes software developed by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors.
What's new in this version:
- Full support for Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
- Recompiled as a Universal Binary to run natively on Intel-based Macs
- Fixed a bug that caused registration sometimes not to work on Intel-based Macs
- Fixed a bug which caused large metapackages to sometimes load a few extra packages after you cancel it
- Fixed a bug which caused some packages to erroneously give â€œBOM file not foundâ€ errors
- Added support for reading raw BOM files... See all new features »