CNET Editors' review
Adobe's Portable Document Format helped transform the business world and bring it onto the Internet and into the paperless age. Today many people use PDF files for everything ranging from important personal papers to service manuals for lawn mowers. If you use PDFs a lot, you'll like PDF Summary Maker from Traction Software. It's a PDF file management tool that lets you change the summary information in one or many PDF files all at once. You can change the creator, creation date, producer, author, title, and keyword fields within your documents. It includes full database import and export, too.
The program downloads as a zip file but installs conventionally. It opens with a nag screen describing the version's limitations. The main interface is a simple spreadsheet-like dialog box. PDF Summary Maker will search your system for all PDFs, generate reports, and perform batch conversions, among other functions. New to version 1.09 is a feature that populates keyword selections from the first page in a set of documents, which is usually the introduction.
PDF Summary Maker is free to try but comes with a three-file limit, after which it's $79.95 to buy. If you use PDFs a lot, though, it could pay for itself the first time you have to go in and change an unfortunate error item by item. Traction is a member of the Adobe Solutions Network, so you know their software will mesh well with all versions of Acrobat. However, it doesn't work with Reader or Acrobat Reader.
From Traction Software:
PDF Summary Maker allows you to change the summary information in multiple PDF files or individual PDF with ease. This software also includes summary reports. You can change the creator, producer, creation date, author, title, subject, and keywords fields within PDF's. Also includes database support for updating and downloading from a database.
What's new in this version: Version 1.13 has added command line option -C for outputting csv file.
More Products to Consider
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Copy file properties from one file to another easily.
- Transform your text documents into PDF files.
- Performs full-text search in PDF files by keyword, title, subje...
- Edit your PDF file properties from author, title, subject, and ...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Search the Internet for relevant information and import data in...
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Compare new and used books prices online for novels and textboo...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Extract all contact information (name, address, phone) from Out...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Save information in an address book that opens within a program...
- Browse popular Web services such as weather, news, eBay auction...
- Create a disk summary and a file/folder index.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Set or change standard information in your PDF documents.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...