CNET Editors' note: You must be 17 years old to download this application. The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Opera Mini 6.5 brings this version of the alternative browser to iOS devices (version 6.5 has been available for Android for three weeks at the time of this review). We have had a chance to put the slimmed-down browser through its paces and it offers several features we think users will like. With the right tweaks, it may even become the favorite over Apple's Safari--if people are willing to give it a try.
The clean, elegant interface hides multiple useful features, with only five buttons to choose from, along with the address bar and search box. The main Opera menu in the upper left reveals most of Opera Mini's features, giving you access to Bookmarks, your browsing history, the Start Page (or Speed Dial), previously saved sites, browser settings, word search, sharing options, and a useful help section. While Opera Mini doesn't have browser tabs in the traditional sense, touching the tabs indicator (next to the address bar) brings up your open pages, visually making it easy to switch between Web sites.
Controls seem to be made for iOS for the most part. Pinch-to-zoom and panning are smooth for an overall great experience. The one-touch zoom feature is a little confusing, however. In our testing, touching a link would frustratingly sometimes zoom in and other times load the link.
The search field defaults to Google search, but you can touch the Google logo on the left side of the box to search sites like Amazon.com, eBay, and Wikipedia exclusively. A button at the bottom of the resulting drop-down lets you manage and edit your search engines, but it doesn't let you add more. So, if you wanted to add a site like Ask.com, you would need to edit and remove a current entry (like Wikipedia) to have Ask.com available at all times. This seems a little restrictive and more work than it needs to be, but the fact is that most people use Google for general searches anyway.
For navigation, you also can take advantage of Opera's Speed Dial for quick access to your favorite sites. Simply touch the Opera menu button in the upper left, then touch Start Page to get Speed Dial's 3x3 layout of sites. Opera preloads common sites by default, but you can touch and hold (or long-click) any of the pages to change them to your favorite sites. We really like this feature, especially on a mobile device like the iPhone or iPad, because you generally won't spend as much time browsing the Web as you would on a desktop computer. In other words, nine quick-browsing options are usually enough for a standard Web surfing session on a mobile device. If you need more, you can easily use Opera Mini's Bookmark features.
Opera Mini offers a couple of ways to view previous browsing sessions. The browser history works as you would expect with a list of sites previously visited. But you also have the option to save pages to get right to a story you want to read later. When you want to look at a particular story later, hit the Saved Pages button under the Opera menu, then hit the plus sign to add it to your list. Now you can go directly there without wasting time searching or browsing to it.
New in version 6.5, Opera Mini now has predictive typing support, autocorrect, and searching from the address bar, along with various other bug fixes and tweaks.
Overall, with speedy load times, quick access to favorite sites via Speed Dial, and elegant long-click menus for extra options, Opera Mini 6.5 is a must-have update for Opera fans using iOS devices. With a few more additions and feature refinements, it might even become the first choice for iOS Web surfers--if they take the time to learn the ropes.
From Opera Software:
Get a fast, cost-efficient Web browsing experience. Use our powerful servers to compress data by up to 90% before sending it to your iPhone, so page-loads are lightning fast. Opera Mini is a breeze to use, and can synchronize data between your phone and computer. Some great features of Opera Mini: Speed: Up to 6 times faster browsing, especially on slower or crowded networks. Data Savings: Compress up to 90% of data traffic. Speed Dial: Get to your favorite Web sites with a single tap. Visual Tabs: See all your open Web pages and quickly switch between them. Opera Link: Synchronize your bookmarks and Speed Dial with a Desktop PC or other mobile phone. Try Opera Mini today; it is completely free.
What's new in this version:
- Updated design with a fresh new look and feel
- Super smooth pinch-to-zoom and panning
- Support for iPhone 4 retina display, iPad, and iPad 2 devices
- Direct share on Facebook, Twitter, and My Opera
- Open new page in background tab
- Improved international font support for Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese, and other non-latin languages
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Use the information provided easier, using less time.
- Calculate your auto loan using variable rates, taxes, and other...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 25 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Par for the course"
Version: Opera Mini Web browser 6.0
It's like all the other mobile browsers
Nothing to do hand stands for
"it is a great product saves cost is user friendly."
Version: Opera Mini Web browser 6.0
it is a great product it is a great product it saves cost and is user friendly.the product rank among the best
cost reduction software.it is a great product it is a great product it saves cost and is user friendly.the product rank among the best
cost reduction software.it is a great product it is a great product it saves cost and is user it saves cost and is user friendly.i will always recommend it to all friendly.the product rank among the best
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content