CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
From Staircase 3:
The best toolkit for improving your cellular and wifi signal. Over 1m downloads!- Signal direction- Signal graph- Map and radar views of cell towers & WiFi routers- Detailed signal strength data- Save data to SD card- Widget (in beta!)- Save wifi access points and maps of their locations by running the speed test- History of signal readingsThe simplest tactic to improve your reception is to walk in the direction of your signal. Not foolproof, but worth a shot!Option to contribute to the OpenSignalMaps.com project: we're TRUE coverage maps of cell phone networks & wifi data points freely available to all.Supports almost all Android devices:from small screened devices (HTC Wildifre) on 1.5 (Cupcake) up to your flashy Galaxy Nexus on 4.0 (Icecream Sandwich). We also support devices without Google APIs.Problems? Email us!Tips:- Click the wifi-cells toggle button on the bottom left to see wifi routers- Use wifi and GPS for best speed and accuracy- Verizon & Sprint users will see only one connected tower at a time- Not all towers and wireless routers are in our database. Sorry!- Moving in the direction of your cell tower will not always improve reception due to interference effects and local geography.- Data is mainly crowd sourced - wireless and antenna locations are calculated by triangulation. This means they are not exact, and sometimes they may be way off. As more people use this app the data will improve.- Click on the "i" on the overview screen to see more signal stats - including signal RSSI in ASU and dBmAdvanced notes:- For GSM, cell tower are identified via cell id and location area code (CID and LAC)- For CDMA, cell towers are identified via Network ID, Base sub-station ID and system ID (NID, BSSID and SID). CDMA phones include the Droid (II, X, HD, etc.), EVO 4G - all phones on Verizon and Sprint. - See our website opensignalmaps.com for more detail on using the app and please add your requests for developments. - For tablets (somde models of Xoom, Asus Transformer and others) that do not have cell radios the app will only work in wifi mode- For devices that do not have access to google APIs OpenStreetMaps are used- For the Galaxy S2 there is an issue reading the signal strength, this is a bug and effects all signal apps, however the app does show cell tower location as normal and works in wifi mode perfectly- This app is developed on a Nexus One, but tested on many phones (I also have a HTC Hero still on 1.5!), let us know any problems. Sorry if we're slow in replying, but we read every email. We're building trustworthy and comprehensive coverage maps for GSM, CDMA; for 2G, 3G & 4G. We think this is the best signal tool you can find, let us know if you think anything is missing.Networks we're mapping: Orange, Vodafone, O2, 3, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, Movistar, Claro. And over a hundred others.(key words: opensignalmaps, opensignalmap, opensignal)Recent changes:Ready for Icecream Sandwich! Some UI tweaks - the signal strength bars are now drawn natively. This makes the app smaller and the images sharper. Looks much better on Xoom.Some fixes to the internal database, now when you see a cell it should get written for sure!We added a "time at" field - you'll see it in the Cells tab, or in any files you save to the SD card. It shows how long a cell was observed to be at a particular signal strength, before the strength changed.Content rating: Low Maturity
What's new in this version: Ready for Icecream Sandwich! Some UI tweaks - the signal strength bars are now drawn natively. This makes the app smaller and the images sharper. Looks much better on Xoom.Some fixes to the internal database, now when you see a cell it should get written for sure!We added a "time at" field - you'll see it in the Cells tab, or in any files you save to the SD card. It shows how long a cell was observed to be at a particular signal strength, before the strength changed.
More Products to Consider
- Wifi Free gives you information about all nearby WiFi spots - b...
- Clean cache, unused files, privacy history and app packages on ...
- Protect your mobile device with both anti-theft and antivirus.
- Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!!.
- Explore phones and PCs over net.
- Provide one-stop solution for mobile security and performance.
- Kill unnecessary apps and running tasks.
- Install apps from your SD card on Android 2.0+ phones.
- Turns your Android device into a WiFi or Bluetooth universal re...
- Bring Window 8 Taskbar to your Android.
- Mobile Tube Video Downloader is an awesome Video Download Utili...
- You can enable the Portable Wifi HotSpot so quickly.
- Weather forecast widgetsProvider: Google, Weather Underground (...
- The known all-in-one GPS for android, now in version 2.PLEASE C...
- Backup all your apps, market links, and remove bloatware from y...
- VenueSpot - Wifi pass finder powered by foursquare.
- Shows the current outdoor temperature. Optionally with wind chi...
- Answer your call without even touching your Android phone.
- Want to know the caller's location. For calls from United Kingd...
- With DataBooster, no more 3G/4G overage fees and no more speed ...
- Vpn One Click protects your privacy online and unlocks all bloc...
- Map the GSM/CDMA antennas in your neighborhood.
- Best file manager.
- Wake Up Alarm Clock Main Features 5 great App Widgets. Shake, w...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content