Oolite is a space sim game, incorporating trade, battles with pirates, bounty hunting, secret missions and more. It features high-quality sound and smooth, fast three dimensional graphics, written specifically for Mac OS X using Cocoa and OpenGL. And it's free.
Oolite was written by Giles Williams, who was inspired by the work of David Braben and Ian Bell with Elite, however this work is an entirely independent interpretation of the original game. Oolite has benefited greatly from the responses of the many people who volunteer their time to test the game and suggest improvements.
Version 1.20 introduces much requested compatibility with Mac OS 10.2.8 (Jaguar), and also brings significant improvements to the simulation, notably with the introduction of ship group behaviours (formation flying for example).
The game and source-code are offered for free under a modified BSD license.
What's new in this version:
- Oolite now compatible with Mac OS X 10.2.8.
- Several important bug fixes (thanks to Steve Sims, and No Sleep)!
- Fuel Injector sound effects.
- AI Tweaks.
- Implemented formation flying and group behaviour for traders, police and pirates.
- Changed the scheme which decides where you end up after a Galactic Hyperspace jump, fixing a bug in the first mission.
- HUD choice implemented as a variable for the player ship.