From Keith Hamel:
NoteAbility Pro is a professional music notation package for the Openstep and Macintosh OS-X operating systems. Developed by Dr. Keith Hamel at the University of British Columbia, it is easily the most sophisticated music notation software available on any platform. NoteAbility combines both musical intelligence and graphical flexibility in a direct and intuitive graphical user interface. Notate anything from simple melodies to complex avant garde orchestral music, play the score on your MIDI synthesizer or directly from your computer sound card and print a publishable copy of your score on your laser printer. If you have been frustrated by the awkwardness and inflexibility of other notation programs then you definitely should have a look at NoteAbility.
More Products to Consider
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Convert your music to WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, OGG or Apple Lossles...
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Save YouTube videos in MP3 format.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Digital video editing system.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Mix audio, video, and karaoke.
- Batch convert MIDI files to a number of formats.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Bongiovi DPS makes everything sound better! Use DPS to make you...
- Transform images, movies, and even live video using audio input...
- Make your Macintosh read books.
- Driver for the 10/100/1000 Ethernet card.
- Vocal reduction audio unit plug-in.
- Build AUs/VSTs or use one from a premade package.
- Free software with everything you need to play, create and stre...
- Explore how ducks quack.
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"For the person who likes page layout & manual tweaking"
Version: NoteAbilityPro 2.463
Basic note entry is perhaps easier/quicker than any other notation app.
Has unique features like integration with MaxMSP.
Very capable for contemporary music composers.
Regular, no-charge updates.
Beat-level formatting control in a page layout style.
Playback is only a rough representation.
No automatic formatting/engraving.
Palettes are numerous, so non-basic functionality can be difficult to uncover.
NoteAbility Pro was arguably the first Mac OS X music notation app (since it was originally written for NEXTStep). Occasionally, some parts of the UI feel that old, but the rewrite at version 2 made it a much more modern Mac app. NA Pro uses a page layout metaphor, so you add new pages and systems when you need more digital manuscript paper. (In contrast, Sibelius uses a word processing metaphor and Finale a roll of measures.) Note entry is easy with or without a MIDI keyboard - similar in some ways to Finale's Speedy Note Entry, you press a key(s) on the keyboard to set note duration (e.g., q for quarter note, e for eighth note, h.. for double-dotted half note) and press a key on the MIDI keyboard or click on the screen to enter the note.
Some of the UI is stuff only a geek could love (arguably the target audience), but it is usually the most efficient way to do what you need to do. Some of the more esoteric features that persons composing electroacoustic music would want are not even on the radar screen of the big name notation apps but are present in abundance here.
Documentation is solid and the sole programmer (a professor at the University of British Columbia) updates the app regularly with new features (a recent addition was MusicXML support). Factor in to the price of the app that you will not be on an annual or semi-annual upgrade plan - we paid for the app once and have been using it for years with numerous upgrades.
I definitely recommend you give the demo version of NA Pro a try before you buy anything else. If you want automatic everything, this will not satisfy, but it is a good general purpose notation program and, for a subset of the market, it provides features that no one else does.
"Music Engraving Alternative to Finale & Sibelius"
Version: NoteAbilityPro 2.452
It isn't Finale or Sibelius. Enough Said!!!
Can't test it. the installer failed to install the frameworks files necessary to run the program. Why aren't the frameworks embedded inside the main application? It cannot be tested or used in the present format.
Potential alternative to Sibelius and Finale, both of which no longer support millions of pre-Leopard Macs. These two also stick you with buggy "updates" that cure one problem and then introduce a whole gang of new ones for future "revisions' to "cure. This is NOT an acceptable marketing scheme!
I need to create scores in non-Western formats; Turkish, Cairo Convention and Persian, just to mention three of many "non-standard" areas I deal with musically. Both Sibelius and Finale keep drifting back to what they perceive as their "base": church choirs, high school music teachers, rockers and other musically semi-illiterate types. Everyone else on this planet get ignored... about 95% of the planet!
Although NoteAbility pro also fails in these areas, I am hoping that they will respond to requests where Finale and Sibelius have studiously ignored all requests from us. I speak from personal experience trying to speak face-to-face with Finale reps whose attitude was as I would describe it... snide.
If NoteAbility continues to fail, I will have no choice but to continue using older versions of Finale which can at least be forced by kludges to imitate the correct formats.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content