CNET Editors' review
The frequent use of a computer by multiple users may lead, on many occasions, to some unpleasant incidents. Whether it's a home computer or an office computer, we often store personal files and we want to be the only ones to have access to them. MySafe for Mac allows you to easily create virtual password-protected folders where you can store any kind of files.
Even though it's available as freeware, in order to use all features of MySafe for Mac, it is mandatory that you request a license via e-mail. Without the license you can only create folders of up to 100MB and you will not be notified when someone tries to open the folder. The only downside of this license procedure is that you'll find out about it only after you have made all the configurations. Without the license, if the folder size exceeds 100MB, you'll have to start over with the setup. Installing this app is easily done through drag-and-drop, anywhere on the hard disk. It is a standalone app and its name can be changed in order to hide it from other users.
A default built-in feature of the Mac OS X allows you to create password-protected folders. However, MySafe for Mac achieves this much more quickly, with the help of a friendly and intuitive interface. This app will be welcomed by anyone who wishes to protect their files and folders from others using the same machine.
In your office, or at home, You are probably not the only person using your mac. Create difference users is a solution, but make every body loose time to login and logout. MySafe let you keep all your secrets safe, and share the rest of your Mac. Mysafe create a Virtual external drive protected with password. (the safe). Mysafe hide inside it your secret folders from spotlight and Finder. Mysafe send you a mail with iSight capture in case of intrusion in the safe.
Additional useful features: you don't need to place MySafe in the Application folder. You can have as many MySafe with different passwords and options on the same Mac. You can rename MySafe as you like to hide that you hide. You can place a MySafe in your DropBox, to access your secret files on all your mac. You can secure your entire DropBox. You can place a MySafe on a USB key or on a Hard drive. License is required for those option, but license is FREE if you a "like" and a comment on FaceBook or YouTube. Choose the size of your safe. Choose a different name for your safe, if you have more than one MySafe on the same Mac. Choose a standard folder skin for MySafe to hide that you hide. Mute MySafe. Remove iSight snapshot to use it on MacMini. Chose to receive mail notification when somebody try to open the safe without success. Chose to receive mail notification when every time the safe has been opened. Create a Virtual external drive protected with password. (the safe). Hide inside it your secret folders from spotlight and Finder. Receive a mail with iSight capture in case of intrusion in the safe.
What's new in this version:
- Automatically close safe option
- Options can now be changed on Lite version
- Expandable safe: In the Full version now you set the Maximum size in GO. But if safe is empty, it will not use this space. If you have deleted files from your safe: Empty the trash will safe is open. Close it to choose an option. this will automatically compact safe size.
- Security question: When you set a password, you also can set a security question and answer. When trying to open MyS... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your online privacy by cleaning up Internet history and...
- Protect files and emails using encryption software.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Use Apple's provided Disk Utility instead"
Version: MySafe 6.2
Quicker creation of what you can already do in Disk Utility. Unique icons.
You can do the same thing already in Apple's provided Disk Utility. I've been doing it for years.
Huh? Maybe this is useful for newbies. But I find this to be unnecessary as I have been doing the same thing using Apple's provided Disk Utility for years. There are plenty of tutorials on the Internet on how to created encrypted, password protected sparsedisk and sparse bundle disk images with 128-bit or 256-bit encryption. It works beautifully and keeps the surveillance goons out of your business.
It bothers me that you have to 'license' this thing to get any decent use out of it when in fact there isn't much of anything new here. PASS!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content