CNET Editors' review
Nuvotech's Movie Outline 3 is a screenplay development tool that uses a technique called step-outlining to help the screenwriter create and build a script, including character development, plot elements, scenes and settings, and even technical aspects like character speech count, scene numbering, and timing.
Movie Outline 3 first opens with a helpful guide that explains how the program works and how you can use it to improve your screenwriting. The interface itself resembles a specialized word processor, which is what it is, essentially, with the usual editing functions. Where Movie Outline 3 differs is its toolbar for creating and managing a step-by-step outlining feature. Following the instructions, we used the navigating Console to create and save a basic outline. We created a character, which we then dragged into the Characters tab to flesh out. One of this program's coolest features is the "FeelFactor" graphic display of plot elements. It can chart rising and falling action, tension, shock, gore, romance, comedy, and other emotional plot elements, making it incredibly easy to balance it all for maximum impact and flow by showing you the "big picture" as you write. Optional tool tips include stylistic recommendations. The Library tab includes sample scripts from hit movies, a helpful extra, while the Step Cards resembles smart notecards.
Movie Outline 3's free 30-day demo disables some features. The full version is $199.99, which is not too much for a sophisticated tool that's suitable for professional screenwriters and wannabes alike. We tested it successfully in both Vista and Windows 7.
Movie Outline 3 is innovative screenplay development software for both the novice and professional screenwriter which uses the simple technique of step-outlining to build your story, characters and screenplay scene by scene, allowing you to focus on each key event of your script without losing sight of the bigger picture.
With Movie Outline you can easily plan and customize your story structure, color-code acts, rearrange scenes, develop and track characters, format your screenplay to industry standard and gauge the progress of your own story to scene by scene breakdowns and analysis of successful Hollywood movies, allowing you to simultaneously compare your own narrative's pacing with the pros. Simply put, Movie Outline is the ultimate writer's tool that provides everything you need to produce a professional screenplay.
What's new in this version: Version 3.1.5 includes unspecified enhancements and bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Write, import, edit, and publish movie scripts using standard i...
- Write your screenplay, outline and develop your scenes.
- Organize notes in one place and categorize into folders for cha...
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Develop, organize, and print details of your screenplays.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Visualize and develop your screenplay or novel in correct indus...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Solve plot and character problems when writing your story.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Create film sheets by downloading them from Internet.
- Cut down your favorite scenes and songs from a DVD movie.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Turn your ideas directly into screenplays without professional ...
- Simplify your project planning and control.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Sell your business plan to investors with the help of this soft...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...