CNET Editors' review
Mixxx is a free, open-source DJ mixing console that turns your digital music collection into the source for a full range of mixing, programming, and effects for recording or live presentation. While all you need is a PC or laptop to use Mixxx, it can also control two turntables, even analog turntables, with special time-synched media. By using Mixxx's Vinyl Control with one of several time-synched records, you can control your digital music just like your analog records. Mixxx enables scratching, hot cues, looping, and other effects, in addition to its core mixing and equalization features.
Mixxx's stylish light-on-dark interface has identical controls for Channel 1 and Channel 2 on either side of a central window that is itself divided into dual players above, and library and playlist features below. Each identical Channel has cueing controls, including four HotCue buttons, In, Out, and Reverse buttons, a button to exit reloops, and a sample rate slider alongside a pair of Up and Down arrows for making temporary and permanent changes. There's also a slider for volume levels as well as rotary buttons for High, Mid, and Low levels as well as Gain, Synch and Key buttons, and other controls. Most of Mixxx's library and playlist features will be familiar to anyone who has used an MP3 player; likewise, loading songs in the two players is easy, as is playing them, adjusting the levels, and other basic controls, though we're glad Mixxx offers such extensive and detailed assistance, too. Clicking Help offered two choices, Community Support and About, neither of which sounded promising. But Community Support linked to a page full of resources, including an extensive manual with a Beginner's Guide as well as a wiki, a forum, and more.
That's how we learned about how Mixxx can interact with real analog turntables via its Vinyl Control feature. To use this feature, you must have at least one turntable and a special vinyl disk that contains digital time codes that Mixxx can read. It's complex, but it enables DJs to use their favorite turntables and control digital music using familiar gestures. Bottom line: Mixxx kicks. Get it!
Mixxx is designed for DJ'ing for both professional and semi-professional users. Mixxx was started in early 2001 as one of the first digital DJ systems. Today Mixxx includes many features common to digital DJ solutions, but also some very unique features. Futhermore Mixxx has a number of key features to help the DJ in the live mix: Beat estimation, parallel visual displays, and support for many DJ input controllers.
What's new in this version: Version 1.9 has included Shoutcast support, direct deck outputs for external mixers, and ReplayGain normalization.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Record any PC sound or your voice into a music file.
- Record your own voice, music or any other internal & external s...
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Edit voice and sound recordings on a Windows PC.
- Record audio from system, microphone, or both.
- Clip and cut your MP3 files.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Record, edit and enhance audio like MP3, WAV, WMA and more form...
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 18 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"For a free program it's SUPERB"
Version: Mixxx 1.9
Customizable, Very good performance, looks like it supports timecode sources like Serrato vinyl etc (haven't tested this though). Skin builder help available on forum so you can make your own custom skins.
Doesn't seem to have a button in any of the skins for jump to track start. Not enough 'FX' presets. Haven't found a skin with a playlist panel for each deck - only a combined one.
I like it better than any other 'lite / free / demo / home" version program I have ever used.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content