CNET Editors' review
MediaCoder provides all the tools needed to convert audio and video clips, but it also adds a level of complexity that audiophiles will love. Casual users, however, will be confused and should steer clear.
The program's interface was helpful but also baffling. While it walks you through the setup process, it does so online, which was a bit odd and certainly different. Nevertheless, it coordinated the program setup in a few easy steps. We were able to convert our audio and video files into corresponding formats like MP3, MP4, AMR, WAV, and a few others. MediaCoder works with a single button, though the conversion took several minutes longer than we expected for a 6-minute file. Regardless, the results contained all the data of the original, with the media specifications we requested. The program offers a ton of special features that are great for the audio obsessive but a bit overwhelming for the casual user just looking to convert some files. Its head-spinning array of options are a dream for serious AV lovers and include everything from adjustable bit rates to picture and sound quality settings, and all with descriptions heavy on the jargon and technical terms,--just how they like it. Those seeking a simple, hassle-free converter should look elsewhere, but for users looking to customize files, MediaCoder is perfect.
MediaCoder is freeware.
MediaCoder is an open source universal audio/video batch converter, which puts together lots of excellent audio/video codecs and tools from the open source community into an all-in-one solution, capable of coding among different audio/video formats. With many extra features and expandable architecture. MediaCoder is more than a GUI of a bunch of command line tools.
What's new in this version: Version 0.7.5.4730 adds XUL-based preset manager and fixes transcoding dual audio track crashing issue.
More Products to Consider
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Burn CD, DVD, and Blu-ray.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Burn the files and images on CD and DVD discs.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Get flexible audio and video playback with access to smart orga...
- Burn all your photos, videos, music, and data to CDs, DVDs, and...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Rip audio CDs, convert audio, burn and copy CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray ...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 56 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"I want soooo badly to rate this a perfect score..."
Version: MediaCoder 0.7.5.4730
Great all in one software for my specific needs, cropping and trimming in batch mode... and video conversion.
Why oh why does it crash EVERY TIME I try to use it... 3 out of 5 times it will crash and give an error. It's driving me crazy because the potential is amazing.
For a free product... this is some pretty amazing software... but, and it's a big BUT, it crashes so very often that I wonder if the author is in way over his head with all the features. I'm giving it a 3 out of 5 because I see the potential here and maybe the problem is on my end, so if it ends up working for me, I will update the review... but normally, when something doesn't work like this and crashes all the time; a 0 out of 5 is more appropriate.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content