CNET Editors' review
Progress in upgrading math's tools has been uneven: blackboards have become whiteboards, but calculators and software have come up short in trying to replicate the speed and simplicity of pencil and paper. Math-o-mir is the result of the surprisingly difficult effort to develop a software-based equation editor to meet that need. It's a free tool with one goal, to make writing and editing mathematical equations as easy and natural as scribbling on a pad. It's not a math engine, design tool, or image editor, though it uses some of the same concepts, such as freehand drawing and the ability to insert expressions and expression elements into equations with a few clicks.
Math-o-mir's simple interface resembles many graphics editors, only its tools palette contains mathematical symbols instead of the typical brushes and color pickers. The blank main field includes an optional pegboard background, and the interface can be customized in various ways, such as font size and halftone rendering. Math-o-mir (or MOM for short) won't be difficult for the average math whiz to figure out, but those of us whose times-and-gozintas are a little rusty will want to download and examine the extensive PDF-based user manual. For example, we wouldn't have known to check Options/Keyboards to see if general variable mode, simple variable mode, or very simple variable mode was selected. The manual does a great job of starting users off by showing how to write Einstein's famous equation, E=MC2. We expanded the hand-drawing tools on the palette, which let us draw lines and vectors and insert a variety of basic shapes as well as objects such as question marks and checkmarks. We could copy and save equation images, copy MathML code, and access a virtual keyboard, too.
Math-o-mir is a unique program, and uniquely useful to people who need to scribble down equations, like teachers, students, engineers, and businesspeople.
From Danijel Gorupec:
This product is basically an Equation Editor. However it is not centered over one single equation but you can write your mathematical text over several pages. Inside your mathematical document, you can copy equations and expressions easily by mouse click. You can also make simple drawings or sketches. Added function plotter and symbolic calculator can assist you... Engineers can use it to make quick informal calculations; students can use it as a real-time math note-taking tool; math teachers can prepare electronic exams to be solved by their students.
What's new in this version: Version 1.82 adds a toolbar, improves plain-text handling and printing.
More Products to Consider
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Teach addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to yo...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Get solutions and explanations to your algebra equations step-b...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Create and edit mathematical equations.
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Evaluate mathematical expression by writing it.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Plot 2D function graphs in polor coordinate and Cartesian syste...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Solve various equations with ease.
- Learn to read musical notes and understand musical counting wit...
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Very good for writing complex math proofs"
Version: Math-o-mir 1.62
I needed to write a math proof using Sigma and other functions, and this helped me format it well. The finished product looks great.
Takes some learning time. Takes time to get used to everything. Not sure how to save the file as a png or jpg or other type of file, so I had to use the snipping tool. A bit hard and annoying to edit in some sections.
If you are willing to spend quite a bit of time constantly editing and making it better and getting to learn how to do stuff, and you don't mind the difficulty saving it, this is certainly the best free editor for the purpose of writing math proofs.
"It is a hopless waste of time"
Version: Math-o-mir 1.7
Nothing except it is a freeware
It is a useless program which has just a few operators and more bugs than features. Tries to squeeze in malware and search engine.
Don't waste your time with this
"Better at Matrix ops than MS Word's Equation Editor."
Version: Math-o-mir 1.62
Extremely easy to work with Matrix Operations & get results quickly. Good Tool Bar operation & Image saving options. The ability to "Stretch" anything is alot easier than trying the work with Font Sizes.
Not for someone not willing to spend some leaning time. View & Printing need strengthening. Text Editing could use some work to make easier & more intuitive. Plotting is probably weakest feature & lacks varible verse varible plotting. Also Plotting is definitely NOT intuitive.
If you're willing to spend the time needed to learn how to use it, it will definitely pay off!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content