From The MPlayer Project:
MPlayer is a movie player which runs on many systems (see the documentation). It plays most MPEG/VOB, AVI, Ogg/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, RealMedia, Matroska, NUT, NuppelVideo, FLI, YUV4MPEG, FILM, RoQ, PVA files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs. You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5 and even WMV movies.. Another great feature of MPlayer is the wide range of supported output drivers. It works with X11, Xv, DGA, OpenGL, SVGAlib, fbdev, AAlib, DirectFB, but you can use GGI, SDL (and this way all their drivers), VESA (on every VESA compatible card, even without X11!) and some low level card-specific drivers (for Matrox, 3Dfx and ATI), too! Most of them support software or hardware scaling, so you can enjoy movies in fullscreen. MPlayer supports displaying through some hardware MPEG decoder boards, such as the Siemens DVB, DXR2 and DXR3/Hollywood+. MPlayer has an onscreen display (OSD) for status information, nice big antialiased shaded subtitles and visual feedback for keyboard controls. European/ISO 8859-1,2 (Hungarian, English, Czech, etc), Cyrillic and Korean fonts are supported along with 12 subtitle formats (MicroDVD, SubRip, OGM, SubViewer, Sami, VPlayer, RT, SSA, AQTitle, JACOsub, PJS and our own: MPsub). DVD subtitles (SPU streams, VOBsub and Closed Captions) are supported as well.
What's new in this version: MPlayer 1.0rc4 continues the tradition of long overdue, but better late than never releases. It has been tested thoroughly to work with the FFmpeg 0.6 branch. It will be useful to distros and other users relying on FFmpeg 0.6. To get the latest and greatest in features and bug fixes, Subversion HEAD should be a better fit.
1.0rc4 once again adds a slew of new binary codecs and leverages all the stuff added to FFmpeg. Notable additions are VP8 decoding, H.264 bug fixes and speedups, ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Digital video editing system.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Extended version of the MPlayer video player.
- Dvd database software: catalog your movies.
- QuickTime plugin that plays many video formats.
- For Miglia TVMax+, TVMini+, EvolutionTV.
- Play, import, convert and export Windows Media video and audio ...
- Makes 3D stereograms from pict files and QuickTime movies.
- Converts between 1.0 and 2.0 versions of QTVR files.
- Broadcast and access videos and radio on the Internet.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"This is a Source Code DIY Compilation Version!"
Version: MPlayer 1.0rc4
A useful free Open Source media player that allows you to play obscure media.
It's geekware! If you aren't a geek, you don't want to play with this version. Get an older version OR better yet MPlayer OSX Extended.
It's great this the MPlayer project lives on! It allows you to play a variety of media that you can't play otherwise except perhaps in VLC. It is well worth supporting. Unfortunately, the project doesn't go beyond providing source code. You have to compile it for Mac all by yourself, which can be very scary and is fraught with the usual minimal and obscure documentation, CLI typing, testing and patience. The README file included provides the bare bones to get you going. But if you haven't installed the latest Apple XCode and haven't compiled code before, you do NOT want to play in this sandbox. However, if you are a geekaholic, this is fun!