MAME, short for Multi Arcade Machine Emulator, lets you relive the golden age of the video arcade right on your PC. Instead of playing copies or clones of arcade games, MAME lets you play the actual arcade game. A variety of games is available for demo evaluation downloads, including Crystal Castles, Burger Time, Joust, Xevious, Donkey Kong, Tempest, and of course, Space Invaders.
Note: In order to use this emulator, you've got to find the original games (also known as arcade ROMs) that run with this arcade emulator by searching on the Web. They cannot be included with this download for legal reasons.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play Spider Four Suits and four other spider solitaire card gam...
- Fight battles between plants and zombies.
- Play 592 solitaire games with more than 80 card sets, 300 card ...
- Defeat evil Bowser and his army of small soldiers.
- Take a spin around three tracks with three car modes.
- Optimize your PC and boost your games by one click.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Fight for humanity against an alien onslaught.
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Play 475 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Fine if you know your CLI from your CFG"
Version: MAME32 0.146s
If you know enough old-style computing to get it working, MAME is brilliant. (I've been using older versions for over 10 years now.) One can record some games for later display within MAME.
If you're the 'wrong sort of computer user' then trying to get a game to display and work correctly can be a nightmare. Even the new MAME installation is fraught, and doesn't offer an obvious start point to the user when the setup is completed.
Context: I've been a MAME user for over 10 years. And first, a proviso: it's not MAME's fault, but if you want to start playing games such as MsPacman or MrDo then you have to get hold of the game ROMs elsewhere. It's a basic licencing issue, and arcade companies like Bally Midway have NOT placed their 1980s intellectual material into the public domain.
And now to MAME itself: getting correct displays of games can require one to manually edit the game's CFG (configuration) files, and much of the general MAME troubleshooting advice available on the internet is in the form of CLI (command line interface) entries.
I've downloaded the new version, and I swiftly decided to stay with my old-and-trusted version (mame32v71b). Sure, it makes me grind my teeth occasionally, but at least I know roughly how to use it, and have had hundreds of hours of fun on it - for which I do thank all those MAME folks who have worked on the project for so many many years. Cheers, guys.
"a great emulator that does more than expected"
Version: MAME32 0.142s
easy to configure joysticks like the ones u buy at best buy or gamestop
it sometimes freezes when trying to load a game and you have to restart the prgram
the emulator is very good. i love the hyperspeed option to speed up the process and it saves time wehn loading a game or waiting for credits to be over. it works perfectly with a joystick u can buy and hook up to an arcade station like the one i got from recrommmasters.com !! the only thing that needs to be changed is maybe increased compatibility with games
Version: MAME32 0.124b
"great for gamers who love classics"
Version: MAME32 0.124b
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content