CNET Editors' review
Carl Burch's Logisim may be compact, totally portable, and free, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the most useful pieces of educational software we've seen yet. It lets you map out simulated logic circuits such as CPUs using preconfigured elements such as AND, OR, and NOT gates; plexers; memory; and wiring, including a tool for drawing color-coded wiring harnesses that simplify programming and debugging. Logisim is simple enough to use as an educational tool for learning the basics of logic circuits, but it can also simulate sophisticated processing pathways. You can use it to create simple circuits and use them to build more complex circuits.
As a portable application, Logisim runs as soon as you click on its program file, so you can store the program on a portable drive or storage medium and run it on any Windows PC without having to install it. Logisim's compact, efficient interface is dominated by the pegboard main view. The toolbar is filled with icons that represent logical operators such as AND or NOT; tools for adding pins and other components; and tools for adding text, shapes, and such. A small tree view offers folders for Wiring, Gates, Plexers, Arithmetic, Memory, Input/Output, and Base. Selecting any tool or object displays its name and properties in a small grid beneath the tree view. There is a very simple, intuitive setup that involves starting a project, dragging and dropping the various elements of your circuit onto the board, and then drawing connecting wires from point to point. Logisim has all kinds of tools to help, such as built-in libraries and simulation options. A basic lack of expertise did not stop us from drawing up and saving some very basic circuits.
Logisim is free and portable, and runs on just about any Windows machine from 98 on, making it almost universally accessible--another major plus for it as an educational tool, since a textbook you can't take home makes it awfully hard to do homework! Putting Logisim in the hands of bright youngsters today could lead to a brighter tomorrow.
From Carl Burch:
Logisim is a toolbar interface and simulation of circuits as you build them, it is simple enough to facilitate learning the most basic concepts related to logic circuits. With the capacity to build larger circuits from smaller subcircuits, and to draw bundles of wires with a single mouse drag, Logisim can be used to design and simulate entire CPUs for educational purposes. Its special versions are released for MacOS X and Windows. The cross-platform nature is important for students who have a variety of home and dorm computer systems. The drawing interface is based on an intuitive toolbar. Color-coded wires aid in simulating and debugging a circuit. The wiring tool draws horizontal and vertical wires, automatically connecting to components and to other wires.
What's new in this version: Version 2.7 added the option of switching the "explorer pane" between viewing the "toolbox" (the project's circuits and libraries that has appeared in the explorer pane in previous versions) and a simulation hierarchy.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Read the CBR files.
- Type in Hindi using iTrans scheme of transliteration.
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Search for various e-books from the Internet.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Convert ePub, HTML, XML files to PDF file.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content