CNET Editors' review
LOK-IT USB Storage Device Control successfully minimizes the chance of confidential data breach by locking out USB drives. The application quietly runs in the background and will disable any USB storage device when attached to your computer unless the device is on the application's white list.
Though the download checks in at about 2MB, setting it up may take a while. Upon startup, the program prompts you to make an account and sign in, but you don't have to if you're just looking to use the app on a local computer. LOK-IT USB Storage Device Control works automatically with any branded USBs, but you'll have to pay if you want to add USB gadgets to your white list or black list. It costs $20 to buy it a la carte. The free version of the program includes a default white list of six LOK-IT Secure Flash Drives. If you want to change any of the program's settings, you need to log in, too. Once you do, you can export your lists to put them on other computers, but not much else. The application will keep blacklisted gadgets out without any problems.
If you already use LOK-IT USB gadgets, then you won't be disappointed with LOK-IT USB Storage Device Control, either. This application is a fine, free download to keep things safe, and can be a boon for IT managers. However, to make it completely useful, you should perhaps consider purchasing the full version.
The #1 cause of data breach is due to employee negligence. LOK-IT USB Storage Device Control drastically reduces an employee's ability to save data to a USB mass storage device that is not secure. The software is provided by Systematic Development Group, the company that developed the award-winning LOK-IT Secure Flash Drive. The software includes a service that runs in the background and disables all USB mass storage devices when they are inserted into a USB port, unless the devices had been added to the Whitelist within the software. Other USB peripheral device types remain operational. The software is password protected so that an end-user can not add other devices to the Whitelist. During installation, the user is prompted to install no other software whatsoever. The software is also completely free of 3rd party ads and will never prompt for the download of any other software.
The Free Edition of the software includes a default Whitelist of LOK-IT Secure Flash Drives. Since all data saved to LOK-IT USB flash drives are secured with military-grade encryption and protected further via PIN-pad based hardware authentication, all data remains completely protected in case of the drive's loss or theft. Organizations do not have to disclose their loss, under HIPAA or other privacy laws. Any USB flash drives other than LOK-IT are immediately disabled when inserted into a USB port, effectively locking down the USB ports to other USB flash drives. The Pro Edition of the software includes the ability to Add Devices to the Whitelist and Remove devices from the Whitelist. Whitelisted devices can be modified and ranges of serial numbers can be Whitelisted within a single entry. A Whitelist can be easily Exported and Imported in order to easily make Whitelists common among a large number of computers. Both Free and Pro Editions include the ability to accept software updates automatically. The Auto-Update feature can be turned off and a Check for Updates button be used, alternatively. LOK-IT USB Storage Device Control software is compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit Windows O/S and also available for Mac OS. Demonstration help videos can be viewed at: www.LOK-IT.net/usb-device-control-software-help
What's new in this version: Version 2.9 updated to utilize only standard system fonts for greater compatibility and user prompted to restart computer after installation.
More Products to Consider
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Enable and disable USB ports.
- Disable or block USB storage devices.
- Share your Internet on your laptop over WiFi.
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Protect your data by locking all USB drives and portable drives...
- Extend LAN-like networks securely to distributed teams, mobile ...
- Use pure ARP to detect IP/MAC address, and control/change mac, ...
- Manage Flash Drive permission by limit or totally disable USB m...
- Employ robust two-way firewall protection to stop hackers, spyw...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Quick way to block usb flash drives that aren't secure"
Version: LOK-IT USB Storage Device Control 2.6
No fuss install
Easy to use
Works as stated
Nice gui interface
Need pro version to modify white list
Good way to stop the use of flash drives in my company where employees might put HIPAA regulated data on pen drives that aren't encrypted. Well done software from what I can tell.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content