CNET Editors' review
K-Lite Codec Pack is a free package of media player codecs that can improve both audio and video playback in Windows Media Player or the included free Media Player Classic. It includes many components but has a single installer and setup tool.
K-Lite Codec Pack's installer offers three options: Simple mode, which hides most options and uses recommended defaults; Advanced mode (the default setting), which shows almost all options; and Expert mode, which unlocks additional options. Well, we couldn't resist Expert mode, especially since our biggest concern was having existing codecs displaced or replaced by new but possibly less suitable codecs. Both Advanced and Expert modes let us set up a default profile, called Profile 1, by selecting various checkboxes to associate the package's codecs with our media players and programs, including the option to make Media Player Classic our default player. The Select Components process offered numerous options, including whether to use LAV or ffdshow on a wide range of video formats such as Flash, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VC-1, and VP7. Before the installer copied files, a window labeled Additional Tasks and Options let us configure shortcuts, ffdshow settings, Haali Media Splitter, video renderer settings and many more options. We also examined the installer's Simple mode, which skips right to the DXVA hardware acceleration information and options. This option lets users whose graphics cards support DXVA enable internal or external decoding. A Speaker configuration sheet let us choose nine different formats ranging from stereo to 7.1 surround or use the same as the input signal. Finally, the installer let us create file associations for either Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player. We selected both.
Once installed, we could make changes via the Codec Tweak Tool and the Configuration Menu in the program's Start Menu folder. Did it make dramatic improvements? Perhaps not, but the point of tweaking is extracting more performance, and big changes are rare; time (and use) will tell. K-Lite Codec Pack is obviously more than just a collection of files for tweaking your media player. It can help you customize your media settings in ways that no single program can.
From Codec Guide:
K-Lite Codec Pack Full is a collection of VFW or ACM codecs, DirectShow filters and tools. Codecs and DirectShow filters are needed for encoding and decoding (playing) audio and video formats. The K-Lite Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your movie files. With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play all the popular audio and video formats and even several less common formats.
What's new in this version: Version 8.8 has updated Media Player Classic Home Cinema to version 22.214.171.12442, LAV Filters to version 0.50.5, and Win7DSFilterTweaker to version 5.3.
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Back up media to Blu-ray discs and access your media via HTTP p...
- Add watermarks to your videos.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Convert MTS and other popular video/audio files to any video an...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Convert MKV videos to AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4 for playback on popula...
- Convert all video/audio formats with high definition and top sp...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Convert general videos and HD videos to your desired HD formats...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Burn videos to DVD disc or generate ISO files.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Convert your videos to different video file formats.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Capture and record video from your screen.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Get flexible audio and video playback with access to smart orga...
- Convert AVCHD video files to MP4 format.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 49 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Awesome Codec pack"
Version: K-Lite Codec Pack Full 8.8
It's a pity that the codec doesn't come with the P.C's.
It truely adds to the richness of being able to watch Video and listen to Music on your PC.
Haven't found any yet.
Adds more flexability to your Media, great Codec pack.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content