CNET Editors' review
Matrix-style screensavers have been around almost as long as the "Matrix" movies, and in many variations of the original falling-code theme. It's an iconic look that says "computers" the way Greek columns say "buildings," and is just as easily renewed. Vastimil Burian's Infected Screen Saver is a good example. It's based on the original Matrix code look, but it "infects" your screen with code when it's activated. The effect is cool, of course, like the many "original" variations, but Infected Screen Saver is different. For starters, you're not limited to the green-on-black look; you can specify any color or select a random option that changes the look for you. You can also change the speed at which the infection takes over your screen. Infected Screen Saver is freeware that's ready for Windows 8.
Installing Windows screensavers is not the most challenging of tasks, and Infected Screen Saver is no exception. Once you've run the program file, all you need to do is access your screensaver settings in the usual way, typically by right-clicking the desktop and selecting Personalize. If Infected Screen Saver isn't selected, browse the screen saver menu and select it from the list. As usual, the first thing we did was press Preview to see what the screen saver does. Infected Screen Saver starts with green code characters on a black background. The code rapidly spreads in "viral" fashion to nearly, but not quite, consume our screen. Once achieved, Infected Screen Saver maintains the effect. We set our Wait interval and other screensaver options and pressed Settings, which opened a dialog containing Web and email links, a slider for selecting the infection speed and a color picker with Random and Selected options.
Like screensavers themselves, the green-on-black "Matrix code" theme has essentially outlived its original purpose and survives on what boils down to a mix of usefulness and "coolness." Though classically simple, the "computer code" look is almost mesmerizing, and there's no doubt that it's effective as a screensaver, too. Infected Screen Saver is old school cool, whether you're a fan of the "Matrix" series (and screensavers) or just like the look.
From Vlastimil Burian:
The Infected Screen Saver provides you with a Matrix-like animation, an uncommon screensaver. Its simplicity can be described as somewhat orthodox. Your computer screen will get flooded with green characters and its Matrix-like graphics will generate the infected effect. Though, it is the idea of a Matrix screen, the resemblance is minimal. Furthermore, the screensaver's settings will allow you to adjust the speed as well as the color. (Despite its name, it does not contain any surprise in a form of a virus, of course).
More Products to Consider
- Emulates the Matrix code and introduction sequence.
- Bring realistic coral reef aquarium to your PC screen.
- Animate your desktop with water effects.
- Place video wallpapers on your desktop.
- Display the view of our planet as seen from space.
- Create a screensaver with images, sounds, movies, Flash, web si...
- Customize your wallpapers and screensavers with pictures and vi...
- Disply a virtual aquarium with unsurpassed realism.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Teach Vina parrot to talk, sing, and mimic noises.
- Select and set different wallpapers for PC.
- Set your desktop virtually on fire.
- Enjoy the brightly colored animations, that dance gently like w...
- Enjoy flight over ocean in cinematic 3D environment.
- Enjoy three stunning animations that reflect the world of Magic...
- Manage screensavers on your PC.
- Enjoy all the beauty of spring with the background music of Viv...
- View current time and day of week on your screen.
- Create and distribute screensavers for Windows.
- Screen saver with 20 sunsets, animals, flowers, mountains & oth...
- Launch different screensavers simultaneously.
- Customize your bootup screen with your own images.
- Watch different smileys moving across your screen.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.