CNET Editors' review
Index Generator creates a fully searchable index for any PDF file in a matter of seconds. It's an incredibly useful tool for researchers and has dozens of other potential applications. It even lets you do more with your file once you create it, adding some serious value.
This program can scan any PDF file to create a useful index, complete with page numbers, number of appearances, and all of the other details you'd need from an index. You can search the index alphabetically and tailor your results to include or exclude individual pages. You can also set words as references or sub-headings of other words so you can easily find a particular type of item -- like an author in a works cited page -- that much faster. You can also easily place any item into the Recycle Bin, and restore it just as easily. Index Generator is blisteringly fast, too; it took less than a minute to compile a complete index for several dozen pages, even with a heavily formatted PDF file. Once you have your index, you can export it to other formats, including DOC, PDF, and RTF. While you're in the program, you can format your index in multiple different ways and set numerous rules that make browsing easier.
Index Generator is a lifesaver for researchers, students, and anyone else who has to comb through pages of literature to pull out the stuff they need from it. It will trim hours off of your work as long as the document you need to use is in the PDF format. Since most documents can be found in that wildly popular format, there's little reason not to have this program around on your computer.
From Openview Design:
Index Generator will take a PDF book and produce a list of words with associated page numbers. If the book format is in some other form it must be converted to PDF (Microsoft Word offers this as a Save As option. OpenOffice also exports to PDF). Words can then be selected to be included in an index for the book. Individual pages of a word occurrence can be excluded or included. Words can be set to reference other words. Words can be a subheading of other words. Once the words have been selected, the output can be formatted to your liking. The index can be printed or saved as a Microsoft Word File, PDF File, RTF File or Plain Text File. The preview dialog allows coping to the clipboard for pasting into an application of your choosing.
More Products to Consider
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- View and measure AutoCAD DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings, save views...
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Search Word, PDF and text documents.
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Convert PDF, RTF and TXT files to images for reading them in th...
- Create, print, edit, sign, and share PDFs with batch operation ...
- Add search capabilities to your CD-ROM, DVD or CD collection us...
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Get an organizer, calendar, poster, note cards, and e-picture b...
- Back up and publish your blogs.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Apply and extract bookmarks from PDF files.
- Convert PDF documents to JPEG, BMP, PNG, and TIFF files easily.
- Print specific bookmarks and print bookmark index.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Convert TIFF and DJVU formats to PDF.
- Print, e-mail, and save your T-shirts designs all from your des...
- Read PDF files as "flip-page" books by one click of a button.
- Turn documents, web pages, photos into booklets, banners, poste...
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Get 3rd world development information about various subjects wi...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content