CNET Editors' review
Hotspot Shield - Maintain and protect your privacy - Download Video Previews
The bottom line: The Internet connection protector Hotspot Shield encrypts your traffic to protect you from all kinds of spying while your computer communicates with the rest of the world. It's a must-have utility for anybody who uses public Wi-Fi networks.
The Internet connection protector Hotspot Shield encrypts your traffic to protect you from all kinds of spying while your computer communicates with the rest of the world. It's a must-have utility for anybody who uses public Wi-Fi networks, but it's also an excellent tool for ensuring on any network connection that you can access sites and data according to your tastes, and nobody else's. Hotspot Shield's Virtual Private Network services are used by more than 10 million people at the time this review was written, according to the software publisher AnchorFree, making it the largest VPN in the world.
The browser-independent Hotspot Shield establishes an encrypted connection to the Hotspot Shield servers, and turns all HTTP traffic to the safer HTTPS. By rerouting Web traffic and providing you with a new IP address hosted by AnchorFree, the company is able to ensure that your data isn't plucked out of the open by man-in-the-middle attacks or wireless network spoofing.
Recent changes include automatic detection of Wi-Fi connections nearby, the ability to work on corporate networks, and no longer requiring administrative privileges to install.
In our tests, we noticed that sometimes the program would actually resolve pages faster than when connected without it. This occurs, most likely, because of the geographic location of the company's servers. During a day of hands-on testing on the notoriously pokey CNET public Wi-Fi network, we noticed that Hotspot Shield Elite was remarkably fast. There were no connection lags despite the rerouting, and the program admirably handled high-definition streaming videos from sites such as Vimeo, YouTube, and CNET TV. We'd recommend the program for improving the Wi-Fi speeds alone, nevermind the additional security benefits.
The free version of Hotspot Shield does come at a cost. The installation opts you into a toolbar, which redirects your default search and home page, and a desktop icon. Also, whenever you activate Hotspot Shield, it will open a new tab to AnchorFree.com and begin autoplaying a video. That's seriously annoying, even in a free product that offers such a valuable service. Still, the toolbars and redirects are optional.
Once installed, it appears as a red icon that turns to green when activated in both your system tray and in your browser. Clicking will toggle it on or off. Choosing the Properties option opens a window that tells you that you're connected. Hit the Details link to learn more about your connection, including the VPN IP address, amount of data sent in and out, and how long you've been connected. The data transfer rate makes for a useful, quick-and-dirty gauge for people with data caps.
Hotspot Shield's paid upgrade is called Elite, which runs ad-free and on faster servers. Elite costs $0.50 per 24-hour session, with a minimum $10 deposit, or $5 per month, or $29.99 per year. Payment options include credit card, PayPal, prepaid cash cards or mobile phone payments via premium SMS. Along with built-in site malware protection, Hotspot Shield Elite comes with tech support, preferential bandwidth priority (read: faster Internet speeds) and serves you no additional ads from AnchorFree.
The company has created multiple ways to circumvent download blockers in countries with strict censorship, too. If you can't access a Web page with the download, you can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for the Windows version or email@example.com for the Mac version, and the small installer file will be sent directly to you.
Note that although the Windows version number and the Mac version number don't match, AnchorFree says the features are the same.
Even with the installation shenanigans, we highly recommend Hotspot Shield for anybody concerned with privacy. In today's world, that ought to be anybody connecting a computer to the Internet.Hotspot Shield - Maintain and protect your privacy - Download Video Previews:
With over 100 million downloads, Hotspot Shield is the world's most popular Virtual Private Network (VPN) that secures your browsing session, detects and blocks malicious websites, makes you private and anonymous online, and allows you to access any blocked content.
Hotspot Shield allows you to:
- Secure your Web session, data, online shopping, and personal information online with HTTPS encryption.
- Browse the Web anonymously and privately, without being tracked.
- Access any blocked content from school or office networks.
What's new in this version: Version 2.87: Country IP selection (Elite version only); Pause protection; Windows 8 compatibility improvements.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your online privacy by cleaning up Internet history and...
- Protect files and emails using encryption software.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 581 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Works well if you're using WiFi for internet access."
Version: Hotspot Shield 2.87
All parts of the program worked quite well.
Can't recall any.
Top-of-the-Line VPN for surfing the internet when using WiFi.
"Upgrade for Endless Pop Up Ads!!!!!"
Version: Hotspot Shield 2.87
Does what it claims for security.
Takes over your computer with obnoxious pop up ads. On the free version they make the program basically unusable. And if you pay more to be free of the ads, guess what? You STILL get the pop up ads and the customer service will ignore you. That's right. They say the free version has ads but the paid version doesn't. WRONG. I paid and I still get the ads, all kinds of obnoxious pop ups, including ads telling me that if I upgrade the ads will stop. Well I did upgrade and the ads are still taking over my computer.
Not worth the hassle. Get the next highest rated VPN program listed on CNET.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content