CNET Editors' review
Graphics editors need an angle to compete with Photoshop. Many hit Adobe's pricey program where it's most vulnerable by taking the freeware route. Others offer portability, or an emphasis on photographs, or different methods. Hornil StylePix Portable does a little bit of all of that. It's a full-featured desktop graphics application in the Photoshop mode, with layers, highly customizable tools, multiple undo, browsing, batch processing, histogram, slideshows, filters, and effects. It's also totally portable and compact enough to run from a USB drive or portable PC; in fact, it's designed to be light and speedy enough for netbooks and laptops. We tested it on a desktop as well as a netbook. While it has some quirks, we largely found it to be not only a competent performer but also easy on a system, even less powerful ones.
StylePix resembles Photoshop and similar tools, since form follows function in complex apps, and graphics editors are nothing if not complex. This tool's interface has its toolkit on the left and actions (undo), hierarchy (layers), and other tool panels on the right, per form, but it has a useful tabbed navigation console to the left of the main view, with a browser, tree view, thumbnails, batch processing, and tool options. The tool options themselves offer a unique method: clicking any tool opened its settings in this tabbed panel, making detailed adjustments very quick. Naturally, StylePix does other things differently, such as its copy-and-paste steps and the way the selector tools worked, and the tool's layering technique is slightly different from Photoshop's. Yet it can still edit, flatten, and merge layers with similar results. With a little practice, StylePix's ways became familiar. Even graphics pros will find a use for it as a portable yet capable (and free) tool.
StylePix's start-up screen declares "It's light and powerful image editor," grammatically incorrect but accurate nonetheless. The only real difficulties we encountered with it were such "translational" clangers and some occasional clunky functionality that reminded us that StylePix isn't Photoshop. StylePix seems perfectly capable of doing whatever the average user would want it to do, though, and it sure delivers the smackdown on price.
Hornil StylePix, or simply StylePix, is a graphics editing program with a number of advanced features. Stylepix is an acronym for "Style Pictures". This means your pictures with nice style. Hornil StylePix has intuitive user interface. It is designed to control the selected functions easy and conveniently. Even if you have no experience, you can easily learn how to edit image and retouching your photos. As a result, Hornil StylePix's intuitive UI reduces your time to work. To better speed editing, Hornil StylePix is designed to focus on light and powerful. We are always striving to improve the performance of Hornil StylePix. Hornil StylePix runs on fewer resources environment such as Net-books and laptop computer or virtual machines(vmware, virtual box...) with full image handling features.
What's new in this version: Version 1.7 adds a preset combobox in 'New Image' dialog; a region status box in Status bar. Region status is appeared next to 'R:'.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Right-click an image file you want to preview and you'll see a ...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Recover lost photos from hard drives, USB drives, memory cards,...
- Take screenshots (selected area, or full screen), edit and uplo...
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"It's lightweight and powerful free image editor"
Version: Hornil StylePix Portable 1.7
various editing tools
filters with curve and level, and etc.
Some translation is incorrect
It's portable. Just download and extract it to your usb disk.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content