CNET Editors' review
Even if you run reliable antivirus software -- and you do, don't you? -- it's never a bad idea to have a supplemental program that can pick up malware that your regular antivirus application might miss. HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) is an easy-to-use program that can quickly scan for and remove a variety of nasty things that might be lurking on your computer.
HitmanPro 3 has an intuitive interface that makes it easy to get started. If you're ready to plow ahead with the default scan, just click Next. If you'd like to do some customizing, the Settings button will take you to a variety of menus that let you control how the program operates. Users can set HitmanPro 3 to run a scan at startup or on a particular day of the week, and there are also options for configuring a proxy. The Early Warning Scoring feature lets security professionals detect possible threats based on suspicious software behavior. We chose to run HitmanPro3 with the default settings and chose the default scan, as opposed to the quick scan option. The program took a little less than 3 minutes to scan our system, detecting 13 cookies and one piece of adware. We then had the option to delete each of these individually or get rid of all of them with the click of a button. The program keeps a log of potentially harmful items that it finds, making it easy to keep track of what you've been infected with. HitmanPro 3 has no Help file, and seems to assume that users will either take advantage of its basic features and leave it at that, or that they're experts who already know how to use the more-advanced features. Either way, we think that HitmanPro3 is a simple and powerful tool for keeping your system squeaky clean, and we recommend it.
HitmanPro 3 installs and uninstalls without issues.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) 22.214.171.124. The trial version is limited to 30 days.
HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls). Just relying on a single vendor is not sufficient to completely protect you. You do need a second source to make sure you are secure. HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) is designed to work alongside existing security programs without any conflicts. It scans the computer quickly (less than five minutes) and does not slow down the computer (except for the few minutes it is scanning). HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) does not need to be installed. It can be run straight from a USB flash drive, a CD/DVD, local or network attached hard drive.
What's new in this version: Version 126.96.36.199 has updated a minor change to the Behavioral Scan, regarding the detection of executable files that do not mention their disk location in memory.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 201 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: HitmanPro 3 (32-bit) 188.8.131.52
Now that I know what cnet & HitmanPro did - there are no Pros.
On August 12, 2012, this is the virus that Avast cleaned up: Virus: Win32:InstallCore-AM[PUP]
It was stored in: cnet2_HitmanPro36_exe.exe
This is not my first experience with cnet's having unwanted stuff attached to a download, but it is my last. If you want a software, go directly to the developer's Web site and download it. Stay away from software downloaded from cnet.com.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content