CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link directs you to the product page, where you can purchase and download the software.
CNET Editors' review
If you own your home or have some investments, H&R Block's Deluxe online filing service delivers the convenience of eFiling with expert guidance, and for a surprisingly affordable (and recently discounted) price. The Deluxe option has everything offered in the Free and Basic options plus help with your home mortgage, investments, dividends, and charitable deductions. You can also file your state taxes for an additional fee. You don't have to file (or pay) until you're satisfied and H&R Block guarantees its arithmetic, too. The Deluxe tool lets you import previous filing data from TurboTax, TaxACT, and other services.
If you've ever shopped for a cell phone online, H&R Block's Web site will have a familiar look and feel. You have four choices: Free, Basic, Deluxe, and Premium. We clicked the Deluxe tool and proceeded to the log-on page to access the secure site. You can try the services for free without creating an account, but you can't store returns online or access support until you have an account. The step-by-step tax prep process includes plenty of options for seeking answers to questions -- most of which have already been asked. Limits on session times prompted timeout warnings, but that's for your safety.
When eFiling began, you could only file the easiest tax returns with the help of expensive software. Today you can account for interest income, mortgage deductions, and other critical tax breaks with H&R Block's Deluxe tax service.Tax app showdown:
From HRB Digital:
H&R Block At Home 2013 Deluxe guarantee accurate calculations or we'll reimburse resulting IRS penalties and interest charges (limits apply).
Worry-free Audit Support so that you will receive an IRS tax audit. But if you do, free audit support and audit representation is part of our guarantee. Our audit support helps you understand why you're being audited and what kind of response to prepare. If you need representation, we can communicate on your behalf through an audit proceeding.
100% Satisfaction 60-day Money-back Guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with the software for any reason, H&R Block will refund the full purchase price you paid H&R Block or its authorized reseller for the software, exclusive of shipping and handling charges, taxes, and less any rebate you receive on the software. You must notify H&R Block of your dissatisfaction and the reason for your dissatisfaction with the software within sixty (60) days following your initial purchase of the software, and you must mail the original media or the original UPC code from the box and a copy of your original store receipt to H&R Block, postage prepaid. Please click here for contact information and mailing instructions.
Maximum Refund Guarantee. - it promise you the biggest tax refund you're entitled to or your tax preparation is free.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Prepare tax forms by yourself and get deserved deductions or cr...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Guide you through the steps to prepare and file taxes online.
- Provide SDK for fast and quality generation of barcodes.
- Prepare, file, and print your tax returns on your Windows machi...
- Microsoft Mathematics provides a graphing calculator that plots...
- Provide SDK for fast and quality generation of barcodes.
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Perform simple arithmetic calculations.
All versions:1.9 stars
out of 16 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Treat Consumers with More Respect"
Version: H&R Block At Home 2013 Deluxe
Overall, the software works worked well. However, there are three concerns about the software.
VERY Important Note: Per the clandestine PDF software install issue discussed in my summary notes below, I initially made a good faith effort and contacted HR Block's customer service operation via an online chat platform. When I made clear to the IM rep that the proposed solution was completely ineffective, the rep suspended the IM conversation. I also tried to post a review on the HR Block webpage, and although I received an email confirmation that the review had been received, to date, it has not been posted. As you read about the problems below, it's not surprising the HR Block chose to suppress the review because of the serious issued discussed in my review. Given that trust is the most valuable impression that we can have about a tax software program, their current modus operandi gives me great pause about trusting this company with use of my personal data, my tax data, and the caliber of their software.
The first concern is relatively minor, and would be an improvement. Specifically, when the customer reaches the screen for "Your Preferred Refund Method", a clear, third menu line option needs to be added for the purchase of US Savings Bonds with one's tax refund. Without a clear option listed, I was totally dependent on accidently noticing a small FAQ question in the far right column to figure out how to allocate part of my refund to a bond purchase. Also, for the software help information under-- "How can I purchase U. S. Savings Bonds with my refund?" -- the $5,000 limit information should be added.
My second point is of a far more serious nature. Specifically, when installing the tax software package, HR Block, included without permission a PDF software package named PDF995. The installation of the PDF995 software is also not disclosed in the 14-page End User License Agreement. Given that many users already have PDF read/write software, installation of the PDF995 software should be provided as an option during the installation process. It is very inappropriate to add such a software package to a user's hard-drive without permission.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content