CNET Editors' review
GraphicsGale is an inexpensive, easy-to-use raster graphics editor for spriting, pixel art, and animations. It can animate images, create and edit custom icons and cursors for Windows, and batch-convert files. Its Onion Skin feature lets you view sequential animated frames in place. The separate GaleBrowser manages files. You can also use GraphicsGale to draw and paint like other graphics tools--it offers layers, effects, TWAIN acquisition, and more--but its primary focus is for producinganimated graphics for games and similar applications.
GraphicsGale works in any edition of Windows likely to be running, from 98 to 8, though obviously newer systems will better handle resource-intensive processes like creating animations. The program is free to try, and only costs $20.77, which is less than comparable tools.
GraphicsGale's user interface screams "graphics editor" on first glance, and there's nothing wrong with that--that's what the program does. Layout features include includes free-floating Preview, Frames, Palette, Loupe (magnifier), and Layer windows. The Help file includes a Tutorial section that explains each tool and feature and simple processes such as creating animated GIFs; the program's Web site adds more tutorials, such as how to create transparent GIF or PNG files.
I started by creating simple animated GIFs using several sets of files, including a series of existing GIFs and a JPEG sequence that was converted to GIFs using GraphicsGale's batch convert feature. I could drag frames into order (or into the trash) and edit each frame, individually. I also tested out GraphicsGale for drawing and image editing. Creating images pixel by pixel can be very tedious--GraphicsGale simplified the process and results were impressive, considering the applied skills.
GraphicsGale strikes a good balance between an intuitive process that you can learn by clicking a few buttons and more complicated tools that do everything but require night classes to learn how to use them. It simplifies detail-intensive processes, but new users are strongly recommended to start with the tutorial to make the application even simpler. For Web and app graphics, it's a top pick.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of GraphicsGale 1.93.22.
From Tempest Software:
GraphicsGale is software for editing raster format image. You can retouch a photo, paint a picture. It allows you to edit and create animations and other types of graphics seeing its preview in real-time. This feature is useful for making an animated GIF or a video-game character.
Features include support for any bits-per-pixel, real-time preview in editing, multiple layers, onion skin, batch conversion, outputs an animation as multiple files or a combined file, prints multiple frames, acquires an image from a TWAIN, image browser, support for animated GIF format, Windows cursor format (*.cur, *.ani), and Windows icon format (*.ico).
What's new in this version: Version 1.93.22 has modified a bug of 'Copy Display Image'.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Construct DirectX 9-based games and applications.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Make games for Windows Mobile-based Smartphones and Pocket PC V...
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Express your artistic skills by drawing, sketching, animating, ...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Create your own original role-playing games using user-friendly...
- Convert images into different various formats.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Create your own role playing games without any special programm...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Small, simple & easy to use."
Version: GraphicsGale 1.93.22
The good thing about G.Gale are the customizable keyboard shortcuts for almost all the tools. Maybe not as good as Sketch-Up for example (filter), but pretty good anyway. Which is essential for fast workflow. It is simple to use as Microsoft Paint, but 10 times better.
Has layers, frames, an intuitive color palette editor and lots of tools to manipulate pixels, great selection tools, onion skin, loupe, preview window, all sorts of grids & snapping...etc.
Works slow on pictures with dimensions 1024x768 or higher. In stops responding to commands for 10-20 seconds, which is odd because my computer is quite powerful(AMD dual core 2,80GHz; 3,00GB RAM & 3D acc.graphic card 1GB VRAM). And the way it works with transparency (Alpha) is a bit confusing until you get used to it.
Great for small gif animations and pixel art. 4/5 stars