CNET Editors' review
Graboid Video grabs video online from a variety of intermediary sites, including high-quality and HD videos. It doesn't host or share video; instead, it searches for the titles you want to watch and shows you what's available, both exact and near matches. You can preview or play the videos (using the included VLC Media Player) or flag them for later. You can filter searches and sort videos by category, too, and add tags that other users can see. Graboid Video is shareware that's free to try, including a free account, though the trial limits downloads to 2GB and no HD content.
Graboid Video's installer includes VLC Media Player, though if (like us) you already have it, you can skip that step. Graboid's user interface is about par for the course in appearance, with a prominent search box and tabbed features: Videos, Downloads, Flagged, News, Account, Help, Messages, and Preferences -- all clear and to the point. The program opened with the latest downloads displayed, including some popular movies. Graboid doesn't display the sites it searches. Plenty of free videos are available from sites like the Moving Image Archive, but some sites host videos shared by unauthorized users. We're certainly not interested in downloading copyrighted material, and the trial limits what's available, so we entered a search for an old, dark movie. After previewing the content, we clicked Download. Graboid downloaded and saved our video, indicating "you have this" with a green icon when it finished. We had no trouble figuring out Graboid, but a good help file is available, too.
We opened the default destination folder and clicked our finished download, which played normally in VLC. That clearly demonstrated Graboid's capabilities, and we have no problem in recommending the program based on its performance, even with the trial limitations. But we recommend using Graboid Video with care since it not only downloads potentially copyrighted material by also adult content (as indicated on the sidebar menu). Graboid's not responsible for what others host or what you download since it's mostly a download manager, just one optimized for finding online video downloads.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Graboid Video 3.26.
Graboid is your ultimate online video companion. It is an application that searches the internet for the videos you want and makes it simple for you to get and watch them, all in one easy-to-use app. Graboid finds you the newest videos faster than anyone else, so you'll always be able to say you saw it first. Mobile version available on the Graboid homepage.
More Products to Consider
- Watch and record online TV Channels and listen to radio station...
- Download and convert videos from any Web site.
- Play virtual piano with your computer's keyboard.
- View thousands of online TV shows, streaming channels, videos, ...
- Understand your life events through astrology.
- Download video from YouTube fast and easily.
- Create, play, and print tablature scores.
- Provide on-screen piano, synthesizer and MIDI controller for yo...
- Download and save videos from youtube.
- Download music, movies, videos, and wallpapers for your iPhone.
- Play this guitar with your computer keyboard.
- Deliver the best in movies, shows, and music direct to your des...
- Deliver up-to-date news, video, "behind-the-scenes" info to you...
- Watch Satelite TV with sports, news, comedy channels, access to...
- Convert FLV files into popular video and audio formats, and vic...
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Search the Web for videos, games, wallpaper, and TV shows for y...
- Download free music directly from your desktop.
- Simultaneously search for videos from popular video sharing web...
- Access thousands of full TV episodes, streaming channels, video...
- Tune up acoustic and electric guitars.
- Save FLV video frames as JPEG images.
- Watch DStv Mobile's or GOtv Mobile's DVB-H mobile television br...
- Download and export videos from various video Web sites.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 179 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Graboid - All that glitters is not gold..."
Version: Graboid Video 5.1
Quick download, great assortment of movies and up-to-date releases, great quality available.
Absolutely crap technical service. Kept queuing movies but not unpacking or downloading. Attached itself to the OutFox.tv 'virus' which is insidious and hard to shake. Updated to new 5.11 version and had nothing but trouble, emailed and was given a link to older version but no joy either. Response to my 2nd query was 'you aren't co-operating, we're trying to help you'...nice. Have ceased my membership. Can't download, can't get an answer...why pay for no service?
Initially I thought Graboid was great...however the issues with viruses, non-download and crap, even rude back-up has me ceasing my membership.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: