CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Google Voice for iPhone has been a long time coming, and we couldn't be happier that it's finally here. As fervent Google Voice users, we find the app provides mostly easy and straightforward management access for Google Voice, much more conveniently than did the Web app that preceded it.
Four screens display a menu, a dialer, your contact list, and the application settings. Fittingly, the menu is the base camp for sorting and managing your voice mail by in-box, texts, and various other filters. The in-box displays your list of voice mails and text messages. From here, you can view a voice mail transcription or play back your contact's recorded message. Tap the contact's name to call, text, add to quick dial, or show the contact's details. Pull the entire page down with your finger to manually refresh the list.
You'll be able to reach out to contacts from the dialer and the contacts list, either by searching for a contact's name or by entering a number. The dialer helpfully lets you choose to call or text a number. Unfortunately, an icon in the Dialer that looks like it should cause your contact search list to pop up didn't work on several iPhone 4s we had in-house.
The Contacts list has an interesting feature that's unique to the iPhone version of Google Voice; it's called Quick Dial. Google has made it easier to prioritize your favorite contacts by letting you assign some to Quick Dial--these buddies surface to the top of a list, just above another list of recently used numbers. You can tap over to another screen to select from your full list of contacts.
The Quick Dial feature does a good job of surfacing frequently dialed buddies, and push notifications of missed calls, incoming texts, and new voice mails are key.
That said, Google Voice for iPhone still shows signs of being a first-generation app. We received duplicate texts to our iPhone's native message in-box and to Google Voice's texting in-box. Exposed routing numbers that Google uses as the pathways of its VoIP Voice empire were also confusing. Other niggles frustrated, too, like a broken icon in the Dialer that appears as if it should open the address book, but doesn't do anything.
We would unquestionably recommend the app to Google Voice users, but beware, there are still some loose ends that could be better tied.
Access your Google Voice account right from your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.Send free text messages to US phones and make international calls at very low rates.Access your voicemail messages with transcription.Make calls with your Google Voice number.A Google Voice account is required to use this app (sign up for free at google.com/voice).Google Voice is currently only available in the US.
What's new in this version: Fix for sign in crash introduced in v126.96.36.1991.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Use the information provided easier, using less time.
- Calculate your auto loan using variable rates, taxes, and other...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Finally the WAIT IS OVER!!!!!!!!"
Version: Google Voice 188.8.131.526
Simple,Crystal Clear Sound.CHEAP..Long distance CALLS.
Not Much SO far..
The Year Long wait is Finally OVER...it's a Great App, but by no means it is A VOIP but comes damn Close to it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content