CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the product page. You can download the application in the Android Market from your Android device.
CNET Editors' review
Google Voice lets you create a generic phone number that can be used to make and receive voice calls, voice mails, or text messages from any number of different mobile devices. It's great for people who want a consistent contact number across multiple phones and tablets or for business owners in need of another line.
To get started, you must first enable the Google Voice service on your Google account at google.com/voice. When doing so, you can choose to use your mobile number as your Google Voice number or create a new number altogether. Either way, you'll be able to use this number to make outbound calls from any of your Google Voice-enabled mobile devices. Meanwhile, incoming calls to your Google Voice number will be routed through the app.
Once you've gotten yourself set up through the Web, go ahead and download Google Voice on your Android device, and give it your Google credentials. From there, the app lets you select its method for making phone calls. For instance, you can set Google Voice as the default service for outgoing phone calls. As for me, I like the app to give me a choice (Google Voice or carrier voice plan) before I make any calls.
While the Google Voice service as a whole is great, the app's interface is another story. Primarily, it's made up of a single screen with a list of your messages... and that's it. There's no list of recent calls made or received, and there's no way to quickly make calls to your favorite contacts from the app interface. For some odd reason, these basic features are included in Google Voice for iPhone, but not in the Android iteration of the app.
One thing Android tablet users get, though, is Click-to-call, which lets you use your tablet to "place" Google Voice calls. With Click-to-call, Google Voice will call you at a number of your choice, then call one of your contacts, and connect the two of you. You probably won't use the feature very often, but I can certainly see it coming in handy.
Overall, I think Google Voice is a fantastic service that's worth signing up for. But until the app's interface gets a major update, I'll have to hold back on giving it any outstanding marks.
Make cheap international calls with your Google number. Send free text messages.
Place calls and send text messages showing your Google number. Listen to voicemail and read transcripts. Currently only available in the US.
More Products to Consider
- Make free Skype-to-Skype video calls, and call phones at Skype ...
- Chat over VoIP or via instant messaging, share images and video...
- Call and text anyone, anywhere.
- Nimbuzz is everything you need to communicate for free.
- Get WhatsApp Messenger and say goodbye to SMS!.
- Puffin Web Browser is the fastest web browser on the Android pl...
- Provide Internet access to your laptop through your Android pho...
- Connect and share life as it happens.
- Push emails, sync conversations, integrate contacts, search, an...
- Text-to-speech app that reads your documents to you.
- View all of your your calls and messaging history at a glance.
- Make new friends, send free voice, video and photo messages.
- Create, share, and keep all your stuff in one place.
- Free Network telephone softphone.CellPhone ID is Account.Free i...
- Record, transcribe, and email personal call notes with two taps...
- Tether your computer through the Android phone's data connectio...
- Send, receive, and manage SMS messages on your Android smartpho...
- See who the unknown caller is, block unwanted calls and SMS, an...
- Learn studied foreign language pronunciation.
- Show exactly how long your phone was ringing for missed calls.
- Connect your android to Internet using PC side network connecti...
- Instantly translate over 50 languages.
- Download videos online from Internet to your Android phone.
- Bring back the joy of owning phone.
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 8 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Google Voice for Android 0.4.2.44
You get another number on your phone that you can call and text with, great idea!!
Google voicemail takes over your phone!! No way to disable it from routing all incoming calls to the google voicemail which is impossible to use. If they could improve the program to where incoming calls to the native cell phone # go to the native voicemail I would use it. I uninstalled it, wasn't worth having the second phone #.
Version: Google Voice for Android 0.4.2.44
No more calling your voice mail and pressing numbers and what seems like hours later getting to your msg! Just press the app and press play!!!! Don't we all want to save time??? Also- If you have a crazy X-husband like me who likes to scream and yell @ your VM it's now "evidence" for court b/c you will receive an email with the recording! ;)
N/A, I have not found one thing wrong with this app!!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! IF you are like me and your voice mail box always seems to be full DOWNLOAD NOW!!!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content