Those using Safari may want to add features to the browser for easier use. While Glims for Mac does add some useful features, not everything worked in our test, lessening the app's usefulness.
Glims for Mac is available for free as an add-on to Apple's Safari Web browser. The program downloaded and installed easily to the browser, and only required a program restart to take effect. Once installed, the program brings the user to a page containing tutorials and other information on its use. The tutorial was helpful and contained explanations of the different options available. The program does not have any menu of its own, but instead works in the background during Safari browsing. The preferences menu for the add-on has useful options available, including turning on and off images for searches, among other features. You can also change your preferred main search engine. The add-on did not alter the overall speed of the browsing experience. While many of the features worked well during our testing, the one to add thumbnail images to the search results did not function, which was a disappointment.
While not everything worked as promised, Glims for Mac may provide enough useful features to appeal to some users who want more from their Safari experience.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Glims for Mac 1.0.39.
Glims adds a cocktail of features to Safari ( Tabs, Thumbnails, Full Screen, Search Engines, Search Suggestions, Type Ahead)
Current features list:
- Adds thumbnails to Google/Yahoo/Bing search results
- Adds search engines to the default Safari's search tab
- Adds Favicons to tab labels
- Adds keyword search from address bar
- Adds new tab position option (right/left/leftmost/rightmost)
- Adds tab closing using middle mouse button (or CMD-Click)
- Focus last selected tab
- Type-ahead support (auto cmd-f)
- Sets the focus on the search field when opening a new window
- Adds Amazon's information banner on Google/Yahoo/Bing search results
- Adds a "Max Window Size" menu item to resize the Safari window
- Autocomplete search phrase
- Adds bookmark separator
- Adds bookmark actions
- Dated download folders
- Auto-Closes download window
- Undo "Close Tab" (cmd-z)
- Localized to Japanese, French, Polish, German, Spanish, Italian, and Korean
Pre-Safari 5.1 only:
- Re-opens last session when Safari starts
- Adds full-screen browsing capability
- Forms autocomplete always on
- Always open links in a new tab
What's new in this version:
In this version we wanted to use Google thumbnails API. The advantage of using the Google API is that we get amazing thumbnails for full URLs, which is really cool. The only downside is that the API won't work for Bing or Yahoo.