CNET Editors' review
Gemini for Mac's great interface and quick search features help users locate and remove duplicate files that have accumulated over time and taken up too much computer space. The program uses balanced algorithms that enable it to search for and locate duplicates in a flash.
While Gemini for Mac comes with a demo version with unknown limitations, the full version is available for $9.99. The program, itself, opens into a basic but modern interface, which contains well-designed and labeled buttons. A plus button allows the manual selection of a folder for searching, but the program also allows folders to be dragged into the center of the window. Users can place almost any type of folder into the program, including those with songs, videos, photos, or documents for searching. Pressing a search button initiates the program, which returns results quickly. Once searched, the program moves to another menu where the potential duplicates are displayed. The program window lists the type of files it's searching in the upper left, as well as the total size of the alleged duplicates. Clicking the individual files moves them into a large, left-side bar, where they are displayed for easier comparison by the user. The user can then select the files for removal, and click a button at the top to complete the deletion. Additionally, in the program's settings, the user can set the minimal file size, manually, or leave the program to define it, automatically, as well as set the program to automatically move duplicates to Trash and remove empty folders. They can also exclude certain files, folders, and extensions to prevent the program from scanning them, as well as prioritize certain locations for scanning, such as the Downloads folder.
Gemini for Mac packs many useful features in a modern and easy-to-use interface. It is a good choice for any user who needs to quickly locate duplicate files on their Mac and clean them up for good.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Gemini for Mac 1.5.
"...Gemini does its job well, and with just the right amount of cheek, at that." Macworld "It could have looked like a dog and I would still have enjoyed the way that it worked, but having it look and feel as great as it does is a nice bonus." TheNextWeb "Gemini's speed is really impressive." TUAW Featured in the Mac App Store Best of 2012 Powerful - Fast and accurate scanning algorithms - Cleans iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture and Photo Booth libraries - Works with external drives and network volumes - Removes duplicate folders too! Intelligent - Auto Select all duplicates with one click - Originals remain untouched - An array of one-click, filter selection buttons - Advanced contextual menu for power users Gorgeous - Beautifully crafted, Retina-compatible design - Drag and drop files, folders, or entire drives - Data chart shows you what needs cleaning - Watch your duplicates technically shred to pieces Flexible - Sorting filters make scanning simple - Control-click in Finder to select and scan - Send duplicates to Trash or erase them completely - Customizable select and ignore lists - Built-in file preview mode makes selection easy.
What's new in this version:
- New introductory tutorial
- New tools for faster duplicates selection
- Scanning for the Mail Downloads Folder
- Handling of multiple pairs of duplicate at once
- Automatic removal of empty remaining folders
- Correct handling of items that were removed outside Gemini
- Notification Center support
- Sharing cleanup results through the OS X sharing options
- Polish and Portuguese (Brazilian) localizations
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Detects duplicates, thumbnails, thumbnails of faces, missing ph...
- Speed Up (Defrag), Clean Up and Optimize Your Mac.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Find duplicates on any folder, hard disk or network very quickl...
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Remove duplicates from your iTunes library.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Find, view and manage files with duplicate content regardless o...
- Clean up the clutter on your hard disk.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Detect and delete duplicate images.
- Data recovery software.
- Manage iTunes duplicates.
- Disk Expert is a disk scanning, reporting and processing utilit...
- Find duplicate files quickly.
- Get rid of duplicate photos on your Mac quickly and efficiently...
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Very Limited for docs & have to PAY to actually use it"
Version: Gemini 1.5.3
None that I experienced
This program is limited. It will find same content including those with different names. However it will not allow you like some to search on contact that is for example 90 percent the same so you can find previous versions with a different file name.
Also, in order to actually have the program DELETE the duplicate files it finds, you have to BUY the program!!! So it might be a free download but it is NOT a FREE program!!!
There are WAY WAY better programs out there - not sure if they have better ones for a MAC but for a PC this is terrible in terms of options and the fact it is not free to then delete them!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content