Editors' Note: The volunteer developers of The GIMP have been working hard to develop a polished, user-friendly, and freely distributed image editor. Although the separated palette windows may disturb those users who are used to more traditional layouts, your comfort level should grow exponentially as you discover how pain-free the program is.Read the entire GIMP review
The GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.
What's new in this version:
- Scaling in Gimp 2.6 is much slower than in Gimp 2.4.
- unit and zoom entries in Statusbar not visible.
- Cannot build GIMP using Sun CC on Solaris 2.8.
- projection incorrect with alpha-less layers.
- Zoom region always zooms in center of image.
- "Qmask" message popping up here and there.
- compatibility with GEGL > 0.0.20.
- Scaling gives 'jagged' edges.
- Zoom drop down doesn't update.... See all new features »