CNET Editors' review
Found for Mac provides an alternative to OS X's built-in Spotlight feature, offering well-organized search results, full-size previews of files, and the ability to search personal cloud storage services. However, items like mail messages, folders, and calendar events are excluded, and cloud storage search doesn't feature Apple's own iCloud offering.
Installation of Found for Mac goes easily via the App Store, but the initial setup is rather frustrating. There is no option for simply selecting your home folder and indexing all your files, which Found does not support. During setup, once a folder is selected you cannot unselect it. Once you click "Next" to move through the setup process, you cannot go back to make changes. Any changes need to be made after setup is complete in the app's Preferences panel. Configuring for Google Drive or Dropbox was easy, but if you're already syncing files from these services to your Mac, the app will look in your local folders, too. Indexing is fairly quick, however, and files are located nearly instantly. To search, press a configurable hot key combination and the search "Palette" slides into view, ready for action. The application's best feature is full-size previewing of files, useful for viewing pictures and documents just by selecting a file in the search results window.
Found for Mac is attractive and performs well. While it seems to fill no great need for the Mac user who's been using Spotlight to find everything, everywhere, on their computer, this application can prove more than useful to those who use several cloud storage services at the same time and need to locate certain files quickly.
From Found Software:
Found provides a lightning-fast, intuitive search experience that finds files across your Mac and personal cloud services, including Dropbox, Google Drive/Docs, and Gmail (attachments).
With a double tap of the control key, Found slides out to reveal its unique Palette user interface. Start typing and get immediate results with an instant, full-sized preview of nearly any file, even files in the cloud.
What's new in this version: Performance improvements and bug fixes in Evernote search.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Data recovery software.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- Menu bar interface for OS X's built in screenshot tools.
- Makes the 'Replace' button the default selection in Save dialog...
- Clean and speed up your Mac removing unnecessary files and appl...
- Batch create images from desktop icons using a contextual menu.
- Place an alarm clock on your desktop and use your audio files a...
- Customize your icons and edit Mac and PC icon resources.
- Resource editor.
- Changes the image format and save location of screenshots taken...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content