CNET Editors' review
Users who have trouble with font caches may need an easy way to display and clear them. FontNuke for Mac is an easy-to-use, yet effective program for those few users who must remove these records.
This free program downloaded and installed easily without any problems. A simple readme file accompanied the program, but it contained no user instructions. Support for updates was available, but the presence of other technical support was unknown. The main purpose of FontNuke for Mac is to display and remove font caches, which are temporary files a computer uses to track font use. Sometimes these become corrupted and need to be deleted. The application allows users to display existing caches and clear them. The program's menu is easy-to-navigate, with three large buttons that are easy to identify. Other smaller buttons allow the user to search for caches and delete them. While simple, the program performed its function well, displaying and deleting file caches.
Users without experience in this area could run into problems if they use the application improperly, which is a problem since the program lacks instructions. Experienced Mac users who need to easily clear font caches that are causing problems will find FontNuke for Mac a useful application.
From Jake Pietrykowski:
FontNuke is a free utility application for Mac OS X 10.4.x+ (Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion) that removes corrupt and troublesome font cache files. I created this application as a tool for my personal use at the office, and has become very useful for me. To grant individual non-admin users the ability to remove font cache files, without my involvement--is HUGE! Not to mention intelligent application quitting, plus a GUARANTEED reboot, makes my life easier. FontNuke removes system font caches, Adobe font caches (*.lst), Microsoft Office font caches, and now also (as of version 1.1.9) ALL versions of QuarkXPress font cache files. Not to mention it's free. I have recently added an option which purges spotlight indexes on startup volume from /.Spotlight-V100. This has been added due to some intermittent unresponsiveness when searching network volumes for some of my MCX clients. Please use this feature with caution.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed NilObjectException error when using standard mode on select systems.
- Authorization bug fix for standard mode.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Font problem diagnosis & repair tool.
- Screen capture utility.
- Remove e-mail directly from the mail server.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- See sample text in all your fonts at once.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Convert fonts to OpenType (PS), PostScript Type 1, TrueType.
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- View & edit preference files.
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Simple way to quickly manage tasks and resource usage on your M...
- Rotating wide-angle video cube.
- Data recovery software.
- Create a WYSIWYG font menu that displays fonts in their own typ...
- Restore bmp, jpg, png, tif, mp3 files fast and accurately.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: