CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Flipboard is a must-have newsreader and social network hub that lets you organize the info you want to look at and then flip through it like a magazine. Get started by creating an account with Flipboard, then sign in to your Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Once you're all signed in, Flipboard presents you with an intuitive layout of your social networks and some default news categories to browse. Touching a panel lets you browse through any of the default categories. But touching and holding a panel lets you delete it and replace it with whatever you want. To customize your flipboard, touch the More panel in the lower right to browse through several categories like News, Technology, Business, Entertainment, and many others. Touching the News category, for instance, lets you add popular sites to your Flipboard like BBC News, the Guardian, The Economist, Salon, and many more. There's an enormous amount of content to choose from making it possible to customize Flipboard with only the types of stories you want. There's also a search bar if you want to find something specific that you don't see in the presented categories.
Possibly the best thing about Flipbook is how it handles Facebook and Twitter. Touching Facebook, for example, brings up all your latest news stories in a magazine-style format and automatically displays images from links your friends posted. Similarly, when you touch Twitter, you'll get each tweet laid out in magazine format, but also with linked stories laid out like a magazine so you can read some of the article (more than on Twitter) before touching to see the whole story. In this way, Flipboard might even be a better way to look at Twitter than Twitter itself.
Even if you know you're not going to be online later (say, if you're going on a trip via plane) any of the stories you find can be saved to Instapaper or Read It Later so you have the articles handy.
In recent updates to the Flipboard app, you'll now be able to listen to podcasts and audio clips from people you follow, with newly added SoundCloud support. A new tab in the Guide lets you browse through audio content, and a new player is now available by touching a musical notes icon in the lower-left corner of the interface. The app also now has new accessibility controls that enable a visually impaired person to listen to posts on Flipboard.
Overall, Flipboard offers an excellent layout for browsing the latest news feeds and popular social sites that's perfect for both the iPhone and iPad. With tons of customization options and a unique magazine style interface, anyone looking for a better way to browse the latest news and social info should definitely download this app immediately.
Named Apple's iPad App of the year and one of TIME's Top 50 Innovations, Flipboard creates a personalized magazine out of everything being shared with you. Flip through your Facebook newsfeed, tweets from your Twitter timeline, photos from Instagram friends and much more. Fill Flipboard with the things you like to read, from niche blogs to publications like Rolling Stone and Lonely Planet, and use Instapaper or Read It Later to save articles to read later. Flipboard creates a single place to enjoy, browse, comment on and share all the news, photos and updates that matter to you.In addition to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, you can flip through your newsfeeds and timelines from Google Reader, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Flickr, 500px, Sina Weibo and Renren on Flipboard.What people are saying:- "Flipboard begins to imagine an entirely new way of accessing the social Web." New York Times- "Flipping for Flipboard: The brilliant iPad app that has changed the way I read the news." SLATE- "Stop. Put down this computer, go pick up your iPad and come back here. Now go get this app: Flipboard. Why? It's pretty awesome." Wired.com- The Twitter experience on @flipboard is unlike anything i have ever seen. I didn't know it at the time, but it's the reason I got an #iPad.... @sylvioso
What's new in this version: Bug fixes, plus all the great features released in 1.8.3: Connect to even more social networksSina Weibo and Renren. Expanded Retina support. Worldwide access to Chinese content in the Content Guide. (Tap red ribbon, pick China Content Guide Edition.)
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Browse internet using a Chrome-based browser with automation fe...
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
- Browse eLibraries(*.ero) in an easy, efficient, and fun way.
- Surf the Internet with a simple and easy-to-use Web browser.
- Navigate the Internet using browser with powerful search, shari...
- Navigate the Web with multi-processing tri-core browser with au...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great app! I recommend it, plus it's FREE!"
Version: Flipboard: Your Social News Magazine 1.9
It has a simplistic and easy to navigate platform. You can use your Facebook and Twitter accounts to view your news feeds. It features multiple different interests for anyone! The main fact is that you're gaining a great app for FREE!
I believe that there are a lot of improvements to gain, such as possibly adding more pages. I found an issue with trying to delete an article without deleting one after another to delete the article I wanted deleted. It doesn't always follow much of you're Facebook and Twitter news feeds; I definitely recommend to keep your Twitter and Facebook apps.
It might have a few bugs on it, but I definitely recommend it! The app is FREE! Everyone enjoys free things. It's a great app to have and I really enjoy it and I do hope there are better updates for it later!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content