CNET Editors' review
When you think about it, Internet cookies are a lot like the snacks they're named for: Good, even necessary, in moderation, but bad for your system in abundance. So it's a good idea to keep a close eye on the various cookie jars scattered throughout your PC. NirSoft's FlashCookiesView is an extremely compact piece of portable freeware that monitors Local Shared Object (LSO) cookies created by Adobe Flash components in your Web browsers. Like transfats, LSOs are persistent and potentially unhealthy, raising privacy concerns and other issues. FlashCookiesView displays the contents of each LSO in readable form or as a hex dump. It can also copy multiple cookies to the clipboard; save them as text, HTML, or XML files; or delete them.
FlashCookiesView is totally portable and runs as soon as you click the extracted program file, even from a USB drive or other mobile device. It opened with a two-panel main view, the upper half listing LSOs and the lower displaying individual file data. A basic suite of control icons let us find, refresh, copy, and delete files; display and edit their properties; and generate reports. Clicking Options/Display Mode let us choose to display Cookie Value, Hex Dump, or let the program choose automatically. Since the Cookie Value view is also the default selection, we chose Hex Dump, which offered Unicode options, and also Automatic, which returned the view to the Cookie Value data. The program's options let us choose column headings, base folder, grid lines, tool tips, and other settings. You can choose to display a lot or a little information in FlashCookiesView, which with its other configurable options makes it more than just a simple tool for showing you what cookies are in your system.
We've reviewed many of developer Nir Sofer's free apps and found them to be efficient and competent tools that frequently fill specific needs. FlashCookiesView is a perfect example: It's compact, portable, useful, and free, and it's a great addition to portable software toolkits, too. It can help you keep your PC healthy by keeping a lid on the Flash cookie jar.
From NirSoft Freeware:
FlashCookiesView is a small utility that displays the list of cookie files created by Flash component (Local Shared Object) in your Web browser. For each cookie file, the lower pane of FlashCookiesView displays the content of the file in readable format or as Hex dump. You can also select one or more cookie files, and then copy them to the clipboard, save them to text/html/xml file or delete them.
What's new in this version: Version 1.12 has added Mark Odd/Even Rows option, under the View menu.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
- Navigate the Internet using browser with powerful search, shari...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Surf the Web with an immersive browser for Windows 7 and Vista.
- View NTFS symbolic links and junction points.
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Show disk drive read/write counters.
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Retrieve S.M.A.R.T information from IDE disks.
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- View the IFilters list of Windows search.
- Surf internet in a fast, light, and safe browser.
- Protect your privacy and defend yourself against network survei...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Very nifty flash cookie viewer/manager"
Version: FlashCookiesView 1.12
Easy to use; program is very compact and works well. Can be stored wherever you want it, and displays through Windows Notepad (keeping it's size down)
none at all
Having used for some time now the Firefox add-on "Better Privacy" which is similar in function, I was delighted to find this gem which has a lot more features and flexibility than BP, and is stored locally. Since it's now easier to remove and even prevent regular-type cookies from being stored on your machine, data-miners are resorting to LSO's that get in through Flash content, and, from what I've read, certain types of text also, making this an essential privacy tool. Be aware though, that some companies, Google in particular, use LSO's for app settings so be careful what you delete. That aside, I give FCV my highest recommendation. ( Heck, the "coolness factor" alone earns it 5 stars.}
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content