CNET Editors' review
Users looking for robust encryption features in an easy-to-use application will certainly want to try this utility.
FileCrypt Desktop offers a solid feature set through a simple interface that removes the intimidation factor from the encryption process. The interface is a small window with a number of tabs, each of which provides access to a set of features for defining processes and configuring the app. FileCrypt Desktop uses PGP Public-Key Encryption, which is compatible with the OpenPGP standard, and we like that we could choose from three algorithms when creating a key to encrypt and decrypt files: DSS/DH, RSA, and RSA Legacy. This key can be shared with others who will need to open encrypted documents.
The developer's concept of creating an easy-to-comprehend interface to simplify the encryption process played out well in our tests. FileCrypt Desktop performed very satisfactorily, quickly translating selected files. Creating a suitable key and passphrase for securing files was accomplished in less than a minute.
Security-minded users may not like having to register with personal information before the demo version installs, and you should note that the installation wizard loads a package of Visual C libraries before it loads FileCrypt Desktop. The 30-day trial limit is adequate for determining whether to keep and buy this app. Any user who frequently relies on secure files or works with encryption will want to try out this easy-to-use application.
Encrypt and digitally sign (authenticate) all your data such as e-mails and computer files. Based on a technology known as PGP Public-Key Encryption, FileCrypt Desktop is compatible with the OpenPGP standard. Although FileCrypt Desktop is high security cryptographic software, it has been designed with an easy-to-use interface and includes shell extension.
Version 2.0.1 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version 2.0.1 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Encrypt and digitally sign your files, e-mails, and clipboard.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Sign your files, folders, and e-mails digitally, or securely de...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Securely store and manage your passwords.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Encrypt and sign your Lotus Notes e-mail messages.
- Upload and download files securely, fast and easily.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Wrap your critical information with a protective layer of encry...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Encrypt and digitally sign your files, folders, and e-mail.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Archive your files with 128-bit data encryption.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Download, manage, share, transfer, and back up your files.
- Create and administer an interactive Web site.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Convert XML to/from MS Excel, Database, or plain text, and auto...