CNET Editors' review
Fantastical is a powerful app that sits in your taskbar and allows you to manage all of your reminders and calendar events quickly and easily. Setup can be frustrating and time consuming, and we had numerous issues with permissions when using the app; but once resolved, the app is a smooth, easy-to-use tool that allows you to do everything your calendar can do in a smaller, constantly accessible space.
When you install Fantastical, you'll be prompted to do a lot of things. The setup procedure will walk through a lot of those things, but it can still be frustrating and time consuming, digging through the entire process, allowing it access to so many things, logging in to each calendar, and approving each step of the navigation process. For this reason alone, you'll want to make sure you read the instructions as they are presented to keep from having to do it all every time you log in. The app does prompt you, though, so things like auto load, constant on, and security settings are all opt-in, not opt-out, which is nice to see. These small issues aside, Fantastical is a very powerful, very effective replacement for the standard Mac Calendar app. Everything pops out in one smooth animation, you'll see things broken down by time and date, and you can click through them with ease -- not to mention the number of keyboard shortcuts you can set.
If you want a more compact yet more powerful calendar and reminder management tool for your Mac, then consider downloading Fantastical. It's easy to use, loaded with features, and while setup can be frustrating, once you get it down, it will make everything a bit easier. It's free to try but requires a paid upgrade after 14 days.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Fantastical for Mac 1.3.10.
Creating an event with Fantastical is quick, easy, and fun: open Fantastical by clicking the menu bar icon or pressing a customizable keyboard shortcut, type in your event details and press return--and you're back to what you were doing with a shiny new event in your calendar. Fantastical's natural language engine is expressive and intelligent so you can write in your own style. Fantastical will even recognize the location of your event and let you invite people from your Address Book to the event.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed an issue where the due time would reset incorrectly when completing a recurring reminder
- Reminders are now shown as overdue only when the due time passes, not at the beginning of the day
- Various fixes and improvements
More Products to Consider
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- List of all active shortcuts of the current application.
- OneNote-style note taking and clipping app.
- Sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Scientific and Programmers desktop calculator with variables an...
- Simple alarm clock & timer.
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Spoken-word transcription software.
- Clipboard manager and history app that is always at your finger...
- Menu bar app for managing your Facebook events.
- Hypertext/wiki note pad: iPod note export, more.
- Filters and photo effects for unlimited creativity.
- ICal companion to view, create and sync events & to-dos (was Cl...
- Create audio, video, and rich text notes.
- Hide files and personal information such as credit card numbers...
- Create iCal events, in natural language, using a systemwide pop...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-5 of 5
"Excellent, no nonsense, does what it says it will do."
Version: Fantastical 1.2.1
"Handy little calendar app"
Version: Fantastical 1.1
awesome app. See screencastonline tutorial videos.
there are none
"Wonderful Calendar App"
Version: Fantastical 1.1
Great menu bar utility. Ease of set-up and use. Quick, easy, and clean. Seamless integration with iCal and iCloud.
A bit on the pricey side for a calendar app, but worth it.
Fantastical is a wonderful calendar app that works hand in hand with iCal and iCloud. It works great and makes interacting with iCal that much easier. It syncs very fast and makes adding, updating, and changing events a breeze. This app has quickly become one of my daily go-to apps. Also, the animations are fun and give the app a magical feel.
"The front end iCal should have had all along"
Version: Fantastical 1.0.2
Makes entering events a snap. Very good at intuiting what I type. Has saved me a lot of time.
It's not perfect, so but what is?
If you are frustrated with how inelegant entering dates into iCal is, then you should really try this app out. I never open iCal to enter events any more.
"Great idea, but it drops half my words"
Version: Fantastical 1.0.1
great idea, wish it worked better
drops words that have been entered
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content