CNET Editors' review
We approached Express Rip warily after a morning of reviewing some absolutely dreadful audio software. Would this be yet another semifunctional, poor quality application? Fortunately for us (and you), Express Rip is a refreshingly functional and well-designed piece of software.
The program's interface is attractive and intuitive, with graphical buttons representing its major features. We inserted a CD and the program immediately connected to the MusicBrainz database and grabbed the track names and other album information. Ripping the CD was as easy and choosing a destination folder and choosing from among 21 output formats. The program quickly ripped the tracks and saved them appropriately. To be honest, Express Rip doesn't have a ton in the way of features; users can adjust the encoder settings if they want, and the program gives users a choice between MusicBrainz and FreeDB for album information. There are a few other basic items that can be customized, and that's about it. But we don't love Express Rip for its multitude of features; we love it because it's easy to use and does what it's supposed to do, which is a lot more than we can say for many similar programs. It also has an online Help file that is well-written and thorough, another rarity. We think this program is a great choice for users who need a basic but well-designed CD ripper.
Express Rip is free. The program installs a desktop icon without asking and leaves a folder behind upon removal. We highly recommend this program to all users.
From NCH Software:
Express Rip lets you extract digital-audio tracks directly from audio CDs to either WAV or MP3 files free on your hard drive. Extract audio from CDs to WAV or MP3 for free. Save track information or 'tags' (including title, artist, album and more) to MP3 files or create custom information. Save tags to wave files using the CART and BWF methods. This is one of the few CD rippers that can do this. Automatically link to an online database to obtain track and album name information. Complete control over MP3 encoding, including constant and variable modes at selectable bit rates. The program can be run from the command line for integration with other applications (Plus version).
What's new in this version: Version 1.92 features general updates and bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Tag and organize your MP3 music collection, get cover arts, lyr...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Copy audio tracks from your CDs to your hard drive.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Convert audio files into various audio formats.
- Create ISO files, burn DVDs, and rip your favorite songs from a...
- Edit voice and sound recordings on a Windows PC.
- Locate, record, download, and convert music, movies, videos, an...
- Extract CD tracks to WAV, MP3, OGG, WMA audio files.
- Grab a CD and convert its content to the one of the popular mus...
- Burn CD and DVD discs using a simple drag-and-drop interface.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 78 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"works first time, every time"
Version: Express Rip Free CD Ripper 1.92
Rips all the CD's I've tried so far no problems
sometimes the data is wrong - you do need to check and type in album name/artist, etc
hey this stuff works great - and you don't get bloatware if you opt out of it as you go thru the d/l pages and agreements
"You need a Ripper?"
Version: Express Rip Free CD Ripper 1.92
IT does the jobs!
I don't have any.
I get done the things I want and things are per instructions and wizard instructions.