CNET Editors' review
With Equalizer for Mac you can correct the equalization levels of vinyl records you've imported into a digital format, using general-purpose amplifiers. A purpose-built utility, it only accepts a handful of file formats and even then there are other restrictions, like the number of channels and the sample size and rate. So don't expect to use it as an everyday equalizer.
Equalizer for Mac features a main window where you'll find all equalization settings sorted in four groups. Despite being logically organized, the interface can overwhelm you, at first, with its many sliders and buttons. On the upside, the app comes prepopulated with the most popular filters and it allows you to import and export others as well as create your own. Another nice feature is that when equalizing a track, the app creates a copy to which it applies all the modifications, leaving the original intact. In our tests the equalization took a small amount of time; we were able to process a three-minute track in approximately ten seconds and we did notice a discernible difference.
By its very definition and purpose, Equalizer for Mac appeals to a specific audience: music lovers who capture vinyl records using suboptimal amplifiers and preamplifiers. It's a really handy app, but the very busy interface might turn off novices.
Equalizer is an application to assist when capturing and restoring audio from gramophone records whose equalization and/or speed does not match your equipment. It has been developed over a period of many years. There is a user manual that is part of the download package, as well as another page on this website. Equalizer will not operate on compressed audio files, such as mp3, and there are no plans to incorporate such a feature. Equalizer is freeware.
What's new in this version: Choice of File Dialog types.
More Products to Consider
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Digital video editing system.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- Reduce broadband noise in uncompressed audio files.
- Bongiovi DPS makes everything sound better! Use DPS to make you...
- Complete arranger and score editor.
- Move the music you download from the Internet directly to iTune...
- Music and podcast manager for content creators.
- Improve sound quality from headphones, internal, or external sp...
- Modular MIDI sequencer.
- Convert any audio format to all popular audio formats.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content