CNET Editors' review
EditPad Lite from Just Great Software is a freeware text editor that replaces Notepad in Windows. It adds up-to-date features like tabs, no arbitrary limits on file size, file conversion, unlimited undo and redo, and compatibility with Mac and Unix files.
EditPad Lite's installer let us choose between standard, portable, and advanced installation options. We selected the advanced option, which let us choose directories and set EditPad Lite as the default text file application, which would open EditPad Lite instead of Notepad when we clicked a text file or opened a new text file from Explorer's right-click menu. We could change it back by selecting Configure File Types on the Options menu; uninstalling the program restores Notepad as the default. EditPad Lite's menu bar adds selections labeled Search, Block, and Convert to the usual complement of items. The Block menu is especially useful; it let us not only indent and outdent blocks of text but also insert files, append text, and Write (save) or Print the selection. The Convert tool handles uppercase, lowercase, invert case, initial caps, and text encoding, and it converts files between ANSI, ASCII, and Unicode as well as Unix and Mac formats in some instances. We could even apply simple ROT-13 encoding and decoding to texts as well. A full-featured, icon-based toolbar added features such as word wrap, fonts, auto indent, and multiple undo options and gave EditPad Lite the feel of a graphics app or word processor. Adding a new tab or closing any or all tabs was easy, too. EditPad Lite offers plenty of assistance and documentation, including a Tip of the Day feature, feedback reporter, and keyboard shortcuts menu.
Pity the poor Notepad, which looks pretty weak next to EditPad Lite. It brings the features and flexibility of a top-class tool to Windows, and its price is right, too, as in "free." Highly recommended.
From Just Great Software:
EditPad Lite is a convenient text editor and Notepad replacement. It has all the features a solid text editor needs. You can open as many files at a time as you want, with no arbitrary file size limit. Each file will have its own tab. You can convert between ANSI, ASCII, and Unicode, and work with Unix and Mac files. You can search and replace across all open files. It has unlimited undo and redo and powerful print preview.
What's new in this version: Version 7.2.3 has fixed bug where renaming files now works even when the only change is a difference in case.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Use the information provided easier, using less time.
- Calculate your auto loan using variable rates, taxes, and other...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 135 votes
Current version:1.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
Version: EditPad Lite 7.2.3
Seems ok, but the underhanded installs are hidden and nasty
Installed link hijacker and installed browser add-on. Installed pretend backup service, UNBRANDED and made to look like windows component. Other programs also installed, 4 in total.
AVOID EditPad, they are providing it free as bait to covertly invade. USE WITH CAUTION - there are no options would you like to install ...
The editor comment on the money.
"Comes with unwanted browser helper object."
Version: EditPad Lite 7.2.3
The product is deserving of a good review but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it comes bundled with an objectionable extra program that truly alters the browsing experience for the worse - much worse...
Even after selecting custom installation (to make sure nothing extra came with the software) GetSavin 5.0 by AdPeak was installed in the background.
A very well designed program is totally marred by being bundled with a hidden download of tracking software.
"It comes in not alone. Blekko too."
Version: EditPad Lite 7.2.3
Quite pretty program.
It changed my browsers settings and Blekko's toolbar appeared without me asked.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content