CNET Editors' review
There's nothing easy about EasyCrypt, which sports a plain interface that isn't intuitive and doesn't offer a Help file.
Some testers had problems with this program right from the start, and received error message throughout program operation. The initial user interface is tiny, plain, and unappealing, which is ironic considering the publisher is called Vivid Designs. It contains three menu options: Files, Tools, and Help. A new window opens for encrypting items, but despite the few options, it isn't clear how to get started. Instead of selected your own password, EasyCrypt generates a key for locking items. The process isn't very straightforward, though, and you need to make a few Key File selections without any guidance. The Help menu is nothing more than simple About information. Once you create a key and apply it to the file, access to the item is blocked. It's saved in a new format that can only be opened by launching EasyCrypt, selecting the file, and then selecting the Key File you created it for it. Unlike other encryption programs, you don't have the choice of removing the source file or creating self-extracting files so you can share them with others. This isn't a very secure method, since the program itself wasn't password protected.
It's free, but this program wasn't intuitive. It needs a few lines of user guidance, especially for the novice user. More experienced users will want more options than EasyCrypt has to offer. We suggest you skip this one--there are simply too many better encryption programs available.
From Vivid Designs:
EasyCrypt is an easy interface for securely encrypting files. EasyCrypt has lets you create your own encryption-key file, which can then be kept secure or sent out to other people who may need to decrypt files. Once the user has created this key file they can use it to encrypt and decrypt files with just a few clicks of the mouse. Also provided is a secure file-deletion screen, which will allow the user to securely delete a file in the knowledge that it won't ever be retrieved by anyone. EasyCrypt can run on Windows Startup and is then always available from the System Tray.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Encrypt and decrypt text and files.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Encrypt text using 128-bit AES encryption.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Encrypt and decrypt your files.
- Encrypt or decrypt extremely large files.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Encrypt or decrypt your sensitive documents.
- Protect your data with AES encryption.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Encrypt your files and password protect removable drives.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Encrypt and password-protect documents.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Encrypt shared data using this tool.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Encrypt and decrypt files on your PC.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Securely store and manage your passwords.
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: EasyCrypt 1
Version: EasyCrypt 1
....Haven't got that far yet
Before you can download it, you need a file already installed ".NET Framework version 1.1.4322." It gives me a link to download a copy that doesnt work.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: