CNET Editors' review
A static desktop image, although pretty, often loses its luster in a short time. EarthDesk, with multiple, real-time updated views of Earth, presents the perfect replacement for the stale, static image on your screen. In addition to the stunning views of Earth, the program features numerous options for configuring map images, giving you complete control over the maps on your screen. We like the variety of views and 3D renderings of the globe as seen from space. Maps also can be centered on a particular city. You can watch as the map remains stationary while the sun and moon move about your home location as the center point, for example. EarthDesk's customization options and ease of use make it not only educational, but fun for anyone with an interest in our planet.
From Xeric Design:
EarthDesk replaces your desktop picture with a high-resolution image of Earth, complete with accurate current lighting conditions (sun, moon, city lights, and real-time clouds). This image will change throughout the day to reflect the movement of the sun, moon, and clouds in real time. Tons of features like city lights at night, zoom capabilities, and political and satellite maps make this a top-notch earth viewer.
What's new in this version:
- EarthDesk is now a full 64-bit app, including the background renderer.
- Minor performance and stability enhancements.
More Products to Consider
- Bring realistic coral reef aquarium to your PC screen.
- Animate your desktop with water effects.
- Place video wallpapers on your desktop.
- Create a screensaver with images, sounds, movies, Flash, Web si...
- Customize your wallpapers and screensavers with pictures and vi...
- Emulates the Matrix code and introduction sequence.
- Bring the beauty of African Serengeti wild life to your monitor...
- Bring underwater world to your desktop.
- Disply a virtual aquarium with unsurpassed realism.
- Watch breathtaking animated waterfall with eagles soaring above...
- Set your desktop virtually on fire.
- Display a golden spinning cross with reflecting colors.
- Decorate your desktop with a Veep TV show screensaver.
- Decorate your desktop with a balls screensaver.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Decorate your desktop with a West Wing TV show screensaver.
- Change the desktop wallpaper automatically, position pictures t...
- Enjoy a screen saver with two moving turtles, passing the scree...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Customize your bootup screen with your own images.
- Enjoy jai ganesha musical screensaver on your screen.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Animate your desktop with the beautiful 3d space scenes.
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 26 votes
Current version:3.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"New version 5.7, doesn't have clouds but the 5.6.2 did!"
Version: EarthDesk 5.7
The older version, 5.6.2, worked well and I enjoyed it. It had no trouble. It, most importantly, had clouds. The upgrade doesn't. Their support told me that they would try to figure out why the 5.7 version doesn't have clouds - the whole point of it?
The newer version 5.7 does not work. The support for this company, after 4 plus tries has told me to give up and use the older version. So if you don't mind that there is no clouds on the 5.7 version then you will find it to be ok. Stick with 5.6.2!
The 5.6.2 version for Mac works like a charm! The upgrade 5.7, as admitted by Karen from Xeric Design's support department does not work as far as providing clouds, the reason for the desktop. They are still working out the bugs. So, bottom-line, stick with the older version and you will have a nice desktop but if you try to upgrade to the 5.7 you will be in for frustration (a week's worth for me). Their support team did get back to me and tried 4 plus times to solve the issue, mainly by having me uninstall and re-install the program many many times. So now I have the older version, the 5.6.2 back on and it works fine. I believe that in the future there will be a working 5.7 program. But not as of this writing, 4 April 11.
"Very nice graphics. I really enjoy this app."
Version: EarthDesk 5.7
Realistic cloud cover and the moon phases are awesome!
No problems so far.
"very good to have an idea what's around"
Version: EarthDesk 5.7
it changes quite quickly
I cannot see any
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content