CNET Editors' review
Keeping track of a large DVD collection is no small job, especially if you also like to save and collect credits, historical data, and trivia about your favorite movies. Eric's Movie Data Base, aka EMDB, is a free database program specifically configured for managing your DVD collection. But EMDB does more than that: it also imports tons of cool information about each title from the Internet Movie Database, or IMDb, including images, credits, and technical data, and saves it in its database. You can access the full listings any time you open EMDB instead of having to go online and look each movie up every time you need to know something about it. It can also keep track of the DVDs you loan to friends so you might actually get some of them back now and then. The latest release of Wicked & Wild's EMDB supports Windows 8.
EMDB's user interface displayed three empty shelves that fill with DVD cover images as you add them to the database. The shelves are nicely rendered in a realistic wood grain, but if you don't like the look, clicking View Mode on the toolbar changes the view to a classic database list view, including a header for tracking Loaned videos. Of course, empty shelves aren't much good, so the next thing we did was add some titles from our DVD collection. This is easy: Click Add, type in your movie's name, plus an alternate title, if there is one, and press Search IMDb. EMDB returned a list of results with similar names; we simply had to click the right one to import the DVD's cover picture, credits, and other information and automatically populate the program's data fields. Of course, we could edit the data or enter it directly, add more images, and even specify technical playback data such as codec, region code, aspect ratio, and video format. When everything was just right, we could click OK to finish or Add and Continue to add more movies.
DVD collectors should check out EMDB. It's a fun way to manage your movies.
From Wicked & Wild:
EMDB allow you to keep your DVD collection up-to-date. It features automatic import from the database of IMDB, export to csv, text or complete website, thumbnail cover preview, a loan tracker, search function and multi-language user interface.
What's new in this version: Version 1.86 fixed some fields were not in the list of available fields to print or export, complete Series of TV Series entered before the new TV Series system showed up as Season 0, and issue with flag and localized text for the new Traditional Chinese translation.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Bring High Definition sound to YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Pandor...
- Change your voice and add sound effects to games and voice chat...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- MP3 Cutter Joiner is easy-to-use MP3 Cutter and MP3 Joiner tool...
- Enhance the sound quality of all PC audio.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Split and join MP3 files and WAV files.
- Combine multiple MP3 files into one and optionally convert the ...
- Mount ISO images as CD/DVD device virtually.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 24 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Need 1.9x version for complete IMDb importing"
Version: EMDB 1.86
The latest version (1.97) is excellent - it creates a virtual bookshelf of DVD's. All the information you are likely to want is included in the importation from IMDb.
Unfortunately, the routine to import the thumbnail from IMDb has needed updating. The version that's listed here (v1.86) is not a working version. As always, when it comes to free shareware, it is best to visit the author's site (if he/she has one) for the latest version.
I wish the database was a bit more flexible. It's great for DVD info, but if you want to catalog private videos you may want more or different fields for each record.
I've looked and looked for a better catalog program, but I haven't found one half as good as this one.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content