CNET Editors' review
In a world overflowing with image-editing software, DxO Optics Pro is a shining star. The DxO online database allows users to select from any number of manufacturers' camera bodies and lenses, and then use the optical characteristics of said cameras and lenses to fine-tune their images and correct for the particular shortcomings on Camera X or Lens Y. That's definitely not something you see every day.
The program features a very intuitive workflow. Select, Prepare, Process, and Review modules separate the tasks most photographers will use to process their images, but the Process module is where DxO Optics Pro really shines. Here users are presented with two panels: the photo presented on the left, and a scrolling list of tools along the right. The standard raw editing features are all here, but Optics Pro also provides sophisticated distortion correction controls that allow the shooter not only to correct for a particular chosen vantage point, but also factor in the unique camera and lens combination used for the photograph. The nostalgic photographer will enjoy the included film simulators, which mimic the properties of many popular film types. The Review module gives users a summary of their session's work, as well as the option to export directly to Flickr. Optics Pro's Help file is actually a comprehensive user manual, and an included visual guide acts as the quick-start guide for users who want to jump right in.
DxO Optics Pro has a 31-day trial period. It installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly. We recommend this program to intermediate and advanced users.
From DxO Labs:
DxO Optics Pro is an automatic image enhancement software for professional and enthusiastic amateur photographers, capable of handling JPEG as well as RAW files.DxO Optics Pro will meet your needs for outstanding image quality and productivity.Version 5.3.1 adds RAW support for seven new cameras with an initial selection of lenses.
What's new in this version: Version 6.5.2 adds RAW support in both its Standard and Elite editions for the Pentax K-5, the Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Make unique collages for memorable occasions with your own phot...
- Process photos start to finish--from download to editing (inc. ...
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Recover lost photos from hard drives, USB drives, memory cards,...
- Create photo collages from your digital images.
- Recover lost photos, documents, audio and video files.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- Create Flash slide shows with photos and music.
- Turn your photos into collage and make them into desktop wallpa...
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"If you have DxO Optics Pro, you may not need Photoshop"
Version: DxO Optics Pro 6.5.2
Only the camera manufacturers' own RAW image-editing software works as well and even then most doesn't offer the very sophisticated distortion correction provided by DxO Optics Pro.
Takes awhile for customized camera body/lens combos to be developed and published.
Apple Aperture users need DxO Optics to provide an Mac plug-in to smooth the workflow.
CNET editors' review notwithstanding, there's a fairly steep learning curve with this application. But once mastered, it's pure gold for advanced amateurs and pros.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content