CNET Editors' review
Handling many popular file formats, DivX Plus for Mac is the latest DivX player for the Mac platform. With its editing and conversion options as well, we found it to be a great potential addition to any user's Mac toolbox.
As you would expect, DivX Plus for Mac handles DivX format video files, as well as MKV and AVI files. This latest version of the player also allows for conversion from MP4 format, so you can format existing video files for use on the iPhone and iPad. You can also use DivX Plus for Mac as a streaming platform to any DLNA-compatible device. (For those who need it, for an extra cost there's even a plug-in that converts MPEG2 files.) We tested DivX Plus for Mac on a MacBook Pro and it handled all the video files we threw at it. It was able to quickly convert our AVI and DivX files to MP4, which we played with no trouble on our iPad. While there are a lot of settings available for conversions, we found the default setting worked fine for us. Some neat extras are the options to combine multiple files into a larger file and to add subtitles and additional audio tracks using the built-in editor.
DivX Plus for Mac is a must-have for anyone with DivX video files, but even if you have only MKV or AVI files, DivX Plus for Mac can convert them cleanly for your mobile iOS device. We had zero problems with DivX Plus for Mac in our testing, and managed to move files back and forth between all our Apple devices with ease. The interface is clean and easy to use, and the software worked perfectly. What more could you want?
DivX includes everything you need to play, create, and stream all the most popular digital video formats. Use Converter to create DivX, AVI, MKV, and MP4 videos. Watch video in Player or Web Player with subs, audio tracks, etc. Use Codec Pack to play/create DivX video with 3rd party players and editing tools. DivX 10 includes everything you need for a high-quality digital video experience including Converter, Player, Web Player and Codec Pack. DivX Player is a video player that provides phenomenal playback performance for the most popular video files on the Internet, including new DivX HEVC video up to 1080p. Transfer videos to a DivX Certified TV, tablet or mobile phone, and stream your video collection to any DLNA-compatible device with the DivX Player.
DivX Web Player is a video player plug-in that efficiently streams HD video (even MKV) in your browser, with 5.1 surround audio, subtitles, chapters, multiple audio tracks, progressive playback and download. Web Player supports DivX DRM and is used by KnowHowMovies and Sainsbury's. DivX Converter is a video converter that turns video files into high-quality DivX video (.avi, .divx, .mkv) for playback on any computer or more than one billion DivX devices. Create DivX HEVC video up to 1080p, DivX Plus (H.264) video up to 4K and DivX (MPEG-4) video up to 1080p, along with MP4s for your iPhone and iPad.
DivX Codec Pack contains all of the codecs, filters, and splitters needed to power the DivX video experience on your computer. Also allows you to watch DivX video in third-party software video players. The DivX Codec Pack now includes free DXVA hardware acceleration for H.264 video. HEVC Plug-in is an optional, free plug-in to let you create, play and stream DivX HEVC video in DivX Converter, DivX Player and DivX Web Player. During installation, remember to check the box to "enable DivX HEVC Plug-in." Without the plug-in, your DivX software will not be able to support DivX HEVC.
What's new in this version:
- Now with DivX HEVC - Two new DivX HEVC 720p and 1080p video profiles added when you choose the DivX HEVC Plug-in
- Three new languages - Adding Russian, Korean and Italian brings DivX 10's total supported languages to 11.
- MKV streaming to XBOX and PS3 - Built-in to DivX Player, DivX Media Server streams HD video to your DLNA-compatible devices, including game consoles.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Convert text into a WAV, MP3, OGG, or WMA audio files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Convert text into a WAV, MP3, OGG, or WMA audio files.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Edit MP3 tags, find covers, and organize your music collection.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Tag and organize your MP3 music collection, get cover arts, lyr...
- Track your DVD collection and keep up-to-date.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Run all your Karaoke Shows from your fully touch screen PC.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Batch convert your audio files from one format to another.
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Convert MP3 audio files to WAV, M4A, AIFF, FLAC, AAC, WMA, OGG,...
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 167 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Abysmal malware - run away!"
Version: DivX 10
None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.
Conduit search malware takeover of your Mac. No thanks. Even on the Divx forums. their support techs are overwhelmed with PO'd people that installed this. Even with this overwhelming evidence that they are KILLING their target audience, they continue to include this "feature" with their software. DIVX - wake up!
Avoid this like the plague, or your system will be infected and difficult to clean. The Conduit search malware installed takes over the search functionality of all of your browsers, directing you to use Bing, and redirecting broken links to Conduit search. It takes longer to remove all the pieces and parts than it does to install it. NEXT!
Version: DivX 10
None I can think of.
The whole thing, PLUS it inflicts surveillance crapware onto your Mac. That's evil.
If you too uninstall this crapware (via the kindly provided Uninstaller), be sure to do a Spotlight search in BOTH your /Library/ folder AND your ~/Library/ folder for leftovers. I found a SLEW of DivX .plist files polluting my library folders, including one nasty file still residing in one of the Launch folders, which is an evil thing to do. Dump Them All!
Oh and talking about evil: While the uninstaller is running, it attempts to phone home to the DivX site to look for updates. Can you imagine? It wants to UPDATE your installation as you are uninstalling it.
WHY did I uninstall the DivX crapware? Because this recent 'Conduit' infliction garbage during installation is The Last Straw. I've had enough. I don't ever run into DivX video on the Internet any more. I don't care about DivX video any more. May DivX rot and die. I think we already have more than enough effective video formats without having to bother with this unimportant format family.
However, I am keeping a copy of the current installer around for just-in-case. But I highly suspect I'll never need it and will have forgotten why I ever bothered to keep it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content