CNET Editors' note: Beta or prerelease software is not intended for inexperienced users, as the software may contain bugs or potentially damage your system. We strongly recommend that users exercise caution and save all mission-critical data before installing and/or using this software.
CNET Editors' review
While not easily completed with native programs, users may still want the ability to create a bootable USB of their Mac OS. Lion DiskMaker for Mac lacks any other features, but completes this function well.
The free program downloaded and installed easily. Minimal instructions were included beyond a frequently asked questions section and it was not clear if technical support was available. At startup, Lion DiskMaker for Mac immediately asks which operating system the user would like to use, whether OS X 10.7 or 10.8. The menu is small, but uncomplicated and walks the user through the process. At first, the program stated during testing that no Mac installation file had been found, but after consulting the FAQ section, this was solved. After this was fixed, the program worked quickly, walking the user through the setup process. The program did install the OS image on the test USB, but booting from this device was not tested separately. The program also offers the option of creating a bootable DVD of the OS, which would be a welcome option for users who buy secondhand Macs or do not have their original recovery CD.
While basically functional, Lion DiskMaker for Mac lacks many features that would make it useful to anyone other than those users who need a bootable USB or new CD of their Mac OS.
From Guillaume Gete:
Lion Disk Maker is a small application programmed with AppleScript that you can use with Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8 to burn a DVD or build a bootable USB key from Mac OS X Lion's Installation program.
What's new in this version:
- No more error message when trying to rename a 10.7 or 10.8 Install disk.
- Other bug fixes
- Simplified some parts of the code.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Screen capture utility.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Data recovery software.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- Look up and catalog DVDs.
- Catalog your removable media.
- Obtain advanced information about your system.
- Add/delete MP3 ID3 v1.0 & v1.1 tags.
- Place an alarm clock on your desktop and use your audio files a...
- Display the important details of your system configuration and ...
- Simple four-button kitchen timer.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: DiskMaker X 2.0.2
Made a Mountain Lion bootable USB drive.
None that I can think of.
I don't know what else this app needs to do. It does exactly as it says. I'm not sure why the editor thought it should do more. If you wanna make a lion or mountain lion boot drive it does just that.
"Does exactly what it promises."
Version: DiskMaker X 2.0.1
Absolutely simple to use.
None that I could detect.
A much needed utility for which the developer is to be congratulated and thanked.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content